• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Programming Contracting Jobs: What is the interview/hiring process like?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programming Contracting Jobs: What is the interview/hiring process like?

Hi,
    I've been freelancing for years (mostly php, but other related languages/technologies too), and am thinking of moving to London to get some contracting jobs.

One thing that I can't find much info on is what is the hiring/interview process like?

I can find lots about 'normal' interviews. All I've really found is that when they hire you for a contract job the interview process is much quicker.

Can you post some examples of what you've been through.

Also, what is the market like in London? If you know your stuff, how hard is to to land a contracting job even if you don't have many references? I've read that they like to hire people who have a few years of many contracting jobs (each 3-6 months)

Im a .net developer and to be honest there isn't really a normal interview. They all seem to be different.
    Some just a short tech test to make sure you can program. A couple more like a chat. My current one was meeting the team in the local pub.

I've also had ridiculous ones where I was asked where I see myself in 5 years. They didn't like my answer

And even one where they were basically after a free consultation asking how to go about x, y and z. After 20 minutes of them getting frustrated because I wouldn't give them a direct solution to their problem I asked straight out if there was contract role available or not. That went well also

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorScum View Post
      Im a .net developer and to be honest there isn't really a normal interview. They all seem to be different.
      Some just a short tech test to make sure you can program. A couple more like a chat. My current one was meeting the team in the local pub.

I've also had ridiculous ones where I was asked where I see myself in 5 years. They didn't like my answer

And even one where they were basically after a free consultation asking how to go about x, y and z. After 20 minutes of them getting frustrated because I wouldn't give them a direct solution to their problem I asked straight out if there was contract role available or not. That went well also
      Ah ok, i guess like most things there is no set answer as it can vary so much

I've heard that for contracting jobs they care a lot less about your personality, and more on tech skills. Whereas normal jobs, they like to hire people who they can see themselves working with 9-5 for a few years. Do you think this is true?

Comment

Originally posted by ukcontr View Post

I've heard that for contracting jobs they care a lot less about your personality, and more on tech skills. Whereas normal jobs, they like to hire people who they can see themselves working with 9-5 for a few years. Do you think this is true?
        I would say both, why would I client want to hire contractor who is going to upset the perms or sit in the corner and not talk to anyone. Are you concerned about your personality or something?

Comment

There are some great articles online (including on this site, I think) about myths in contracting. The idea that what counts most is your years of experience and that clients don't care about your personality, interpersonal skills, etc.

I've found the exact opposite (exactly as those articles suggest). I got into AWS as a contractor without prior experience because I got on well with the permies and senior contractors and they allowed me to learn. I'd also been told by Agents not to make the mistake of behaving like a 'typical contractor' at job interviews because smaller teams tend to like people who fit in. I've also seen a contractor ostracised until they were let go because everyone hated the guy (he was obnoxious, I did a little dance when he was walked out).

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor101101 View Post
            I've also seen a contractor ostracised until they were let go because everyone hated the guy (he was obnoxious, I did a little dance when he was walked out).
            I've seen a lot of contractors exactly like that.

Be a normal human, not a gaping arseh0le, get along with people.

Comment

Hi,
              I've been freelancing for years (mostly php, but other related languages/technologies too), and am thinking of moving to London to get some contracting jobs.

One thing that I can't find much info on is what is the hiring/interview process like?

I can find lots about 'normal' interviews. All I've really found is that when they hire you for a contract job the interview process is much quicker.

Can you post some examples of what you've been through.

Also, what is the market like in London? If you know your stuff, how hard is to to land a contracting job even if you don't have many references? I've read that they like to hire people who have a few years of many contracting jobs (each 3-6 months)
              It really can vary. I'm a contract dev, mostly in London finance. Typically you'll have a telephone interview where they'll ask technical questions, tell you about the role, etc. If all goes well you'll be called in for a face-to-face where anything might happen. It may be a discussion of the projects you've worked on, might be some white-boarding, they may give you a technical test and call back in a set period of time or my least favourite, they'll sit there watching you code in order to 'analyse your thought process'. If you get through that you may well receive an offer or for some of the banks, typically the American ones, there'll be further rounds. I think Morgan Stanley used to favour about 5 or 6 rounds! I've also done coding 'assignments' for some roles which I prefer to the pair-programming stuff. You then get to talk about your code in the next stage, which is far less pressure. The issue with the pair programming type thing is the guy you're sat with knows the spec. like the back of his hand having done it a number of times, whereas you are expected to immediately understand it and start coding away. The tendency there is to get stuck in without really understanding the problem you are trying to solve. Each second that passes before your start coding seems like a minute. Horrible. I just don't do those interviews anymore.

Comment

If your good, it will be a 10 min interview were they ask when you can start. If not it will be like a permie interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                  If your good, it will be a 10 min interview were they ask when you can start. If not it will be like a permie interview.
                  I guess you don't often get asked to start after your 10 min interviews?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                    It really can vary. I'm a contract dev, mostly in London finance. Typically you'll have a telephone interview where they'll ask technical questions, tell you about the role, etc. If all goes well you'll be called in for a face-to-face where anything might happen. It may be a discussion of the projects you've worked on, might be some white-boarding, they may give you a technical test and call back in a set period of time or my least favourite, they'll sit there watching you code in order to 'analyse your thought process'. If you get through that you may well receive an offer or for some of the banks, typically the American ones, there'll be further rounds. I think Morgan Stanley used to favour about 5 or 6 rounds! I've also done coding 'assignments' for some roles which I prefer to the pair-programming stuff. You then get to talk about your code in the next stage, which is far less pressure. The issue with the pair programming type thing is the guy you're sat with knows the spec. like the back of his hand having done it a number of times, whereas you are expected to immediately understand it and start coding away. The tendency there is to get stuck in without really understanding the problem you are trying to solve. Each second that passes before your start coding seems like a minute. Horrible. I just don't do those interviews anymore.
                    I prefer the interviews where you have to describe your approach - knowing the code is generally a given for a contractor with a decent track record (multiple extensions at multiple clients) so it's more how easily you can apply yourself.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X