Renting apartment - bills, council tax etc Renting apartment - bills, council tax etc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Banned


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    5

    Default Renting apartment - bills, council tax etc

    I have had a brief trawl but haven't come u with an answer to the question - are council tax and utility bills allowable expenses on a property you rent for the purposes of Mon-Fri accommodation?

    This chap asked the same question but didn't seem to get the answer.

    I know all the potential pitfalls of entering into a lease agreement and that it is likely to be costlier but it's a lifestyle thing for me. Don't want lonely hotel rooms, don't want a houseshare.

  2. #2

    Godlike

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    5,010

    Default

    if you're renting for just Monday - Friday then you don't pay council tax.
    Whether you pay utilities or not is down to the landlord.

    However....
    The fact that you're asking tells me that you're not renting it Mon-Fri. You're renting all week but pretending to just rent for Mon-Fri for tax purposes. If you're that transparent to me then how do you think HMRC will see it?

    If I rent somewhere for just part of the week I would not expect to be asked to cover either as it's part of the price. Especially as the landlord may well want to rent it out at the weekend.
    See You Next Tuesday

  3. #3

    Banned


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    if you're renting for just Monday - Friday then you don't pay council tax.
    Whether you pay utilities or not is down to the landlord.

    However....
    The fact that you're asking tells me that you're not renting it Mon-Fri. You're renting all week but pretending to just rent for Mon-Fri for tax purposes. If you're that transparent to me then how do you think HMRC will see it?

    If I rent somewhere for just part of the week I would not expect to be asked to cover either as it's part of the price. Especially as the landlord may well want to rent it out at the weekend.
    I'll be renting it for 6 months - there's no other option under his model but ostensibly I'll be using it Mon-Fri and going home for weekends. So, presumably I can claim the whole cost of the rental and associated fees and all utility bills plus council tax. At least that's how I see it but I dare say there are those who beg to differ.

    Maybe one for my accountant.

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evanses Elevenses View Post
    I'll be renting it for 6 months - there's no other option under his model but ostensibly I'll be using it Mon-Fri and going home for weekends. So, presumably I can claim the whole cost of the rental and associated fees and all utility bills plus council tax. At least that's how I see it but I dare say there are those who beg to differ.

    Maybe one for my accountant.
    Your accountant should always be your first point of call but I would go with what you've said as well. Many of the questions we get on here are much more complicated with people asking about using it for weekend visits or people with no fixed home living in it for a period etc. Pretty complicated. A straight 5 days a week purely for business is pretty clear cut.

    The food in the evening is an interesting one though. Can you claim stuff you get from Tesco's to cook or not often causes a healthy debate.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #5

    Banned


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    YThe food in the evening is an interesting one though. Can you claim stuff you get from Tesco's to cook or not often causes a healthy debate.
    I was told by my accountant that if it's something preprepared then fine but if you make something from scratch with all the raw ingredients then it's not claimable.

  6. #6

    Godlike

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    5,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evanses Elevenses View Post
    I was told by my accountant that if it's something preprepared then fine but if you make something from scratch with all the raw ingredients then it's not claimable.
    I'd not heard that one before.
    If that's the case then you might consider the £25 a night scale rate allowance.
    See You Next Tuesday

  7. #7

    Banned


    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evanses Elevenses View Post
    I have had a brief trawl but haven't come u with an answer to the question - are council tax and utility bills allowable expenses on a property you rent for the purposes of Mon-Fri accommodation?

    This chap asked the same question but didn't seem to get the answer.

    I know all the potential pitfalls of entering into a lease agreement and that it is likely to be costlier but it's a lifestyle thing for me. Don't want lonely hotel rooms, don't want a houseshare.
    What you can do is claim 22/31s of the total accommodation price (rent+c tax+bills) for the duration of the work away contract (up to 2 years).
    This is the most straightforward way.

  8. #8

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pscont View Post
    What you can do is claim 22/31s of the total accommodation price (rent+c tax+bills) for the duration of the work away contract (up to 2 years).
    This is the most straightforward way.
    Just ignoring the 22/31 bit...

    The OP has been outted as trolling sockie and has been banned but just a bit of pedantry. It's up to the point you know you will be there two years so unless your renewal dates work exactly it's highly possible the last renewal won't be claimable...

    But you've ignored me so not sure why I bothered writing this.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  9. #9

    Super poster

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    2,954

    Default

    In the past I've rented something close to the client and claimed it 100% as an expense through my Ltd (i.e. all bills relating to the rental property were in my name and claimed back), working to the 24 month rule. Even the deposit, which was paid back to the Ltd when returned post rental.

    I never bothered claiming for food as that is less clear cut and by drawing the line at purely the cost of using the rental property I showed I wasn't taking the piss.

    I always maintained a permanent address elsewhere, maintained a travel record of going home each weekend to back up travel expenses, and ensured the rental was purely due to necessity of client location in relation to my permanent address being outside of realistic commuting range.

    It also proved cheaper to my Ltd than alternatives such as hotels or guest houses so was seen as a prudent business decision.

    Never had a problem and neither did my accountant.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

  10. #10

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    In the past I've rented something close to the client and claimed it 100% as an expense through my Ltd (i.e. all bills relating to the rental property were in my name and claimed back), working to the 24 month rule. Even the deposit, which was paid back to the Ltd when returned post rental.

    I never bothered claiming for food as that is less clear cut and by drawing the line at purely the cost of using the rental property I showed I wasn't taking the piss.

    I always maintained a permanent address elsewhere, maintained a travel record of going home each weekend to back up travel expenses, and ensured the rental was purely due to necessity of client location in relation to my permanent address being outside of realistic commuting range.

    It also proved cheaper to my Ltd than alternatives such as hotels or guest houses so was seen as a prudent business decision.

    Never had a problem and neither did my accountant.

    I’ve done exactly the same and it was all fine with my accountant as well. So rent, council tax, bills, internet, food as well as I travelled home at weekends.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •