• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a contract very early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pscont View Post
    And this makes you a di.ck + you should have explained better what the project was and you, as a manager, are not so good.
    thanks for your input. Do you have anything valuable to add or just the usual drivel?

As a point of note. The reason for taking on contractors is a) they can start quickly, b) they're paid enough to do the crappy work, and c) they don't get paid for non-delivery.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

And this makes you a di.ck + you should have explained better what the project was and you, as a manager, are not so good.
      Describing what a project is is completely different to describing what a steaming pile it is on the ground. Only an idiot would tell a contractor that it's actually a complete lemon and going to be the biggest nightmare gig you've taken.

Clients explaining what the project is but not how badly it's going isn't new really is it?

There is also the possibility they did explain it but the contractor they got isn't the problem solver/big hitter they needed so it's the contractor that is lacking, not the project.

Thanks for you worthless input as usual.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TomK View Post
        Started a new contract 5 weeks ago, it very quickly became apparent that I've been sold a bit of a lemon and the project is a bit of a nightmare. Apparently this is the 6th time they have attempted the project.

I've decided that I want out ASAP, but I'm not sure how to treat this role when I come to looking for a new role. A few questions:
        1. Should I just leave the role off my CV and say I've taken a career break?
        2. If not, what should I say about why I'm leaving early?

I don't know how long it will take me to find a new role, but I would imagine it would take a least 4 weeks, combined with a 4 week notice period, that will take my total time in the role to just over 3 months.

Any thoughts?

TIA.
        I see the usual suspects are giving you a hard time, they think the sun shines out of their backside. Rest assured, there are plenty of contractors that sympathise with you. There are some of us that actually want to work on a quality project and produce a good quality outcome, rather than just turn up for the dayrate.

I was in a similar situation in my last contract, though I would have stayed for the initial 6 months if the work environment hadn't rapidly deteriorated. Have to say, often the biggest issue is other contractors.

Anyway, to answer your question: I concur what others have posted, extend the length of the previous contract and/or add experience to previous contract. There is no such thing as 'career break' that's a few weeks long and contractors have gaps on their CVs. Many of us play around with the length of contracts though because some agents don't understand how it all works.

Comment

Agreed. Unfortunately as a contractor you will often end up with an inexperienced client who either doesn't know what he wants, has unrealistic expectations and/or has taken on tulip contractor Project Managers.

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor101101 View Post
            I see the usual suspects are giving you a hard time, they think the sun shines out of their backside. Rest assured, there are plenty of contractors that sympathise with you. There are some of us that actually want to work on a quality project and produce a good quality outcome, rather than just turn up for the dayrate.

I was in a similar situation in my last contract, though I would have stayed for the initial 6 months if the work environment hadn't rapidly deteriorated. Have to say, often the biggest issue is other contractors.

Anyway, to answer your question: I concur what others have posted, extend the length of the previous contract and/or add experience to previous contract. There is no such thing as 'career break' that's a few weeks long and contractors have gaps on their CVs. Many of us play around with the length of contracts though because some agents don't understand how it all works.
            let's get this right....

Pointing out the flawed assumption about notice period, is being a dick as I didn't sugar coat it?
            Putting false information on a CV is absolutely fine though. Bonus points for being smarmy, nice and understanding....

I do hope the 'quality' you deliver on a project is better than the quality of your advice on this forum.

EDIT: You don't need to bypass the swear filter for 'dick'. HTH
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

It's a name like Dick Chaney.

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor101101 View Post
                I sometimes wonder if people worry too much about gaps; I left my last permie job (july 2014) and I took a break of 7 months before I started a contract, when asked, I just replied that I took a sabbatical. Last year I took 6 months off, don't even think I got asked about that.

Anyway, if you put it on the CV expect that you may require a reference from it, so if that's unlikely\undesirable and the gap is short do as others suggest and extend previous contract within reason (round months help here), thus limiting the gap period, if it was me, I'd just leave the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                  I sometimes wonder if people worry too much about gaps; I left my last permie job (july 2014) and I took a break of 7 months before I started a contract, when asked, I just replied that I took a sabbatical. Last year I took 6 months off, don't even think I got asked about that.

Anyway, if you put it on the CV expect that you may require a reference from it, so if that's unlikely\undesirable and the gap is short do as others suggest and extend previous contract within reason (round months help here), thus limiting the gap period, if it was me, I'd just leave the gap.
                  Agents worry about gaps. I don't have this issue anymore as I don't leave more than 2 months (don't really need to, right now) but agents comment occasionally that 'oh good, you don't have long gaps on your CV'.

You don't know how many really question it because those that do, won't contact you in the first place, most likely. ie you won't get the chance to come up with an explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    let's get this right....

Pointing out the flawed assumption about notice period, is being a dick as I didn't sugar coat it?
                    Putting false information on a CV is absolutely fine though. Bonus points for being smarmy, nice and understanding....

I do hope the 'quality' you deliver on a project is better than the quality of your advice on this forum.

Oh please. Everyone lies, clients lie about projects, contractors beef up their CVs because they have to compete. If you are missing out on work because you stick strictly to what you think is the truth then you are a fool.

It's your keyboard warrior attitude, your posting style is deeply unpleasant and dismissive. You don't give the other person a chance to explain what they mean, you jump to negative conclusions that are offensive. I do wonder how many more threads would be created on these boards if moderation was more strict.

To me, the first duty of a contractor is to do their best by the client, not deliver any old tulip just because they get paid for it. The main problem on dysfunctional projects far too often is other contractors who keep their heads down, don't give valuable advice, just 'deliver' absolute nonsense. They just watch and tolerate bullying too, enabling it.

Contracting world will be a better place when the old school retires.

Comment

I don't see what is the problem with the gaps. I have my last role as a role for my own company past-now.
                      Under that I have a selection of clients that I worked with listed along with project specific goals-skills. The client projects are not dated, no need to. Never had problems with this approach. And even if I got asked the answer was 'some time ago'. References are always 'The guy worked on our project.'

To the OP, just hand your notice, start looking for a new role, and if you dont like it, dont come in at all during the notice period.

Comment

Working...
                      X