• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a contract very early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pscont View Post
    I don't see what is the problem with the gaps. I have my last role as a role for my own company past-now.
    Under that I have a selection of clients that I worked with listed along with project specific goals-skills. The client projects are not dated, no need to. Never had problems with this approach. And even if I got asked the answer was 'some time ago'. References are always 'The guy worked on our project.'

To the OP, just hand your notice, start looking for a new role, and if you dont like it, dont come in at all during the notice period.
    Do you know how many agencies don't contact you because they don't like your CV, though?

Comment

Originally posted by TomK View Post

Any thoughts?

TIA.
      One.

You've seen the assumptive high horse mentality of some; my thought: Do as you feel is right.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        Just put it down as a quick project on your CV, or lengthen the end of your previous one
        That won't fly with the sort of compliance I have to go through these days

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
          That won't fly with the sort of compliance I have to go through these days
          This. IMO the best option is just to put it on. They might ask you why it ended in the interview but in my career I've never been asked why a gig ended and I've got a 6 weeker on mine. If they did ask then I'd tell them there was no work to do once I got there so we ended by mutual agreement. That's the truth for me and not so much of a lie that I'd still use it if I was in the OP's position.

I think a 5 week gig is less of a red flag than a break and the worst option for me would be lie about a previous gig. It only takes a reference check from the previous agent who will confirm start and end dates to get found out. It's just not worth it.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor101101 View Post
            Do you know how many agencies don't contact you because they don't like your CV, though?
            I dont and dont care.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              This. IMO the best option is just to put it on. They might ask you why it ended in the interview but in my career I've never been asked why a gig ended and I've got a 6 weeker on mine. If they did ask then I'd tell them there was no work to do once I got there so we ended by mutual agreement. That's the truth for me and not so much of a lie that I'd still use it if I was in the OP's position.

I think a 5 week gig is less of a red flag than a break and the worst option for me would be lie about a previous gig. It only takes a reference check from the previous agent who will confirm start and end dates to get found out. It's just not worth it.
              I'm not sure a gap is a red flag though, we're contractors, gaps are to be expected. I do agree in that I wouldn't outright lie about a previous contract length to cover up a gap, as I've already said I'd leave the gap in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor101101 View Post
                Agents worry about gaps. I don't have this issue anymore as I don't leave more than 2 months (don't really need to, right now) but agents comment occasionally that 'oh good, you don't have long gaps on your CV'.

You don't know how many really question it because those that do, won't contact you in the first place, most likely. ie you won't get the chance to come up with an explanation.
                Yep that can happen I suppose, but depends on how you're applying for work. For roles I'm properly interested in I'll be contacting the agent prior to applying\sending in CV, and if not most certainly once I've applied. I then get a discussion with them and any gaps can be discussed, and so far nothing negative yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  EDIT: You don't need to bypass the swear filter for 'dick'. HTH
                  Maybe not but I thought bypassing the swear filter was a bannable offence.

So, is it bannable to bypass it when you don't have to? That would be a gloriously stupid way to get banned.

Comment

If you aren't going to see it through, don't falsify your CV. Besides the moral issues, that can come back to bite you.

Put it on your CV, and if asked, just say, 'It became clear it wasn't a good fit, and I'm a professional. If you take me on for a project and then I'm not a good fit, I'm not going to waste your time and money, I'll tell you.'

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                      Maybe not but I thought bypassing the swear filter was a bannable offence.

So, is it bannable to bypass it when you don't have to? That would be a gloriously stupid way to get banned.

pscont already has form for that
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X