• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a contract very early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving a contract very early

Started a new contract 5 weeks ago, it very quickly became apparent that I've been sold a bit of a lemon and the project is a bit of a nightmare. Apparently this is the 6th time they have attempted the project.

I've decided that I want out ASAP, but I'm not sure how to treat this role when I come to looking for a new role. A few questions:
    1. Should I just leave the role off my CV and say I've taken a career break?
    2. If not, what should I say about why I'm leaving early?

I don't know how long it will take me to find a new role, but I would imagine it would take a least 4 weeks, combined with a 4 week notice period, that will take my total time in the role to just over 3 months.

Any thoughts?

TIA.

Just put it down as a quick project on your CV, or lengthen the end of your previous one
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by TomK View Post
      Started a new contract 5 weeks ago, it very quickly became apparent that I've been sold a bit of a lemon and the project is a bit of a nightmare. Apparently this is the 6th time they have attempted the project.

I've decided that I want out ASAP, but I'm not sure how to treat this role when I come to looking for a new role. A few questions:

I don't know how long it will take me to find a new role, but I would imagine it would take a least 4 weeks, combined with a 4 week notice period, that will take my total time in the role to just over 3 months.

Any thoughts?

TIA.
      You're assuming they don't walk you straight off-site.
      If they've got a difficult project, that they're paying premium rates for, and the contractor just doesn't cut it, why would they pay you 4 weeks for doing knack all? Especially when you've had 5 weeks and not helped them.

As to how you put it on your CV I guess that's down to how you write your CV. I like to put achievements on mine so that'll not work for you in this case. If you just want to put time served then put that. It's not really something that anyone else can advise you on.

As for how long it'll take to find a new role. Who knows? I doubt it's 4 weeks though.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        You're assuming they don't walk you straight off-site.
        If they've got a difficult project, that they're paying premium rates for, and the contractor just doesn't cut it, why would they pay you 4 weeks for doing knack all? Especially when you've had 5 weeks and not helped them.

As to how you put it on your CV I guess that's down to how you write your CV. I like to put achievements on mine so that'll not work for you in this case. If you just want to put time served then put that. It's not really something that anyone else can advise you on.

As for how long it'll take to find a new role. Who knows? I doubt it's 4 weeks though.
        Not sure what gave you the impression I'm not cutting it, it's more that I'm not enjoying the role, I'm still doing what they are asking of me.

Based on that, I'm not sure what grounds they would have to walk me straight off-site, especially given I have 4 weeks notice both ways.

Unless I'm missing something?

Comment

Any thoughts?

TIA.
          5 weeks is a long time to decide that the contract doesn't match your experience or expectations.If you have learnt something then add the experience to an earlier contract.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
            5 weeks is a long time to decide that the contract doesn't match your experience or expectations.If you have learnt something then add the experience to an earlier contract.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
            I had my concerns about a week in, but I've been desperately looking for something to make it worth staying.

Comment

Not sure what gave you the impression I'm not cutting it, it's more that I'm not enjoying the role, I'm still doing what they are asking of me.

Based on that, I'm not sure what grounds they would have to walk me straight off-site, especially given I have 4 weeks notice both ways.

Well you are hardly a key resource only 5 weeks in so why not just save money and walk you? Notice means nothing to contractors. You have a clause that says you only get paid for time you work. If they don't give you work you don't get paid even while the contract is in force.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If I brought you on to do a difficult project but you couldn't be bothered to see it through, that would count as 'not cutting it' in my book. It's not just skills, it's about the ability to see a project through to completion.
                I'd have you walked off-site and not sign your last time sheet.

You are.. See NLUK's comment.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  If I brought you on to do a difficult project but you couldn't be bothered to see it through, that would count as 'not cutting it' in my book. It's not just skills, it's about the ability to see a project through to completion.
                  I'd have you walked off-site and not sign your last time sheet.

You are.. See NLUK's comment.
                  And this makes you a di.ck + you should have explained better what the project was and you, as a manager, are not so good.

Comment

...I'm not enjoying the role...
                    Enjoyment and work do not need to go together.
                    If you want to enjoy work, then make your hobby your job.

How many of your previous contracts have you enjoyed every day of from the start?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X