• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dispute over contract terms regarding lunch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I just call deskside support to. Come swap it at lunch time.
    As desktop support are on your PC then clearly you can bill for the time. Even if you are at lunch.

According to PC, you are permanently at lunch......

Comment

An IR35 review would've destroyed this clause before you'd even set foot in the office
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Probably the agent has submitted his invoice to the client, for 8 hours, and the client has said... no... the 30 minutes for lunch is unpaid. So he's only getting 7.5 hours, and now he's trying to get it fixed. But you cannot falsify timesheets. The best bet is to give him a credit note for the hours you were paid for which you were not entitled.

30 minutes for lunch is extremely unusually. I have never known of an hourly paid contract where payment for lunch is included. I would not expect, nor, obviously, does your agent. It seems the majority (if not all) of the people responding here would also not expect that 30 minutes to be paid.

If I were your agent I'd tell you that neither was it explicitly stated that the lunch time was paid. If it goes to court, then I doubt very much whether your argument would stand, based on reasonable expectations of what the clause infers.
        IMPLIES.... You might infer something from it but it would imply!

Notwithstanding the the meaning of the contract/clause should be explicit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post

you sir, are a pedant.
          I was going to mention this but felt it picky beyond belief.....

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

WB Dacty. Where you been?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CYPER View Post
              Deskside Engineer
              Assignment details state: Hours of work: 09:00 – 17:00 - 30 minutes lunch - Monday to Friday

When were discussing the terms over the phone the agent never mentioned that lunch break is unpaid.

I have been working here for over a month now and got 5 separate timesheets approved for 5 weeks and only today I get a call telling me that I have been overpaid and apparently lunch break is unpaid. Now they want me to amend this week timesheet and input less hours to balance the over-payment.

Nowhere in the contract does it state this. Agents emailed me this bit from the terms:

When agreeing to the terms I was genuinely expecting that I will be getting paid for the full 8 hours daily, so told them that unless they can provide proof this was agreed either in writing or verbally unfortunately I cannot agree to a change in the terms post factum.

What are my options now?
              Here are your options:-

1. FFS get a grip. Of course they aint paying you for lunch.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CYPER View Post
                It's a hourly rate.
                The agent called me again and kept apologizing and saying I need to amend my timesheet for last week.
                I feel like I have been cheated and they expect that an apology will fix things.

I even asked him if he can provide a recording of our conversations, where he says that lunch break is unpaid, but he keeps stating that it is 7.5 paid hours and at this point try to reason with him is futile.
                CYPHER - I bet you can't find one person on this forum on an hourly rate who gets paid for lunch?

Honestly, its normal. You're going to find your daily billable hours going down to zero if you carry on acting like that.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Probably the agent has submitted his invoice to the client, for 8 hours, and the client has said... no... the 30 minutes for lunch is unpaid. So he's only getting 7.5 hours, and now he's trying to get it fixed. But you cannot falsify timesheets. The best bet is to give him a credit note for the hours you were paid for which you were not entitled.

30 minutes for lunch is extremely unusually. I have never known of an hourly paid contract where payment for lunch is included. I would not expect, nor, obviously, does your agent. It seems the majority (if not all) of the people responding here would also not expect that 30 minutes to be paid.

If I were your agent I'd tell you that neither was it explicitly stated that the lunch time was paid. If it goes to court, then I doubt very much whether your argument would stand, based on reasonable expectations of what the clause infers.
                  EXACLTLY. As in everyone else in the world knows you dont get paid for lunch apart from OP.

Comment

It's an employee H&S type thing.

Rest breaks at work - GOV.UK

For every six hours you work, you have to have a 20 minute break.

As a supplier, you are responsible for your employees (you) not your client.

Client views you as a temp resource rather than a supplier?

And no-one gets paid for lunch breaks - employees don't, suppliers certainly don't.

Comment

IMPLIES.... You might infer something from it but it would imply!...
                      Yeah, I know. In my defence, it could of been worse.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X