• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A dumb question around CRB/DBS and Spent Convictions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A dumb question around CRB/DBS and Spent Convictions

(Yes, I was a naughty boy and got myself a criminal conviction many years ago)

Got some security vetting to do - very exciting!

It's got a long questionnaire (two actually) about previous convictions and such and kindly makes very clear that I don't need to disclose spent convictions which mine is. But, it also includes a CRB check which is of course going to promptly reveal it.

I'm not particularly worried about the conviction itself as it's not a dishonesty offence and hasn't caused me any grief even working with kids. It just feels a bit weird saying "No, I've never..." knowing that they're going to get a contradictory document.

Do I just have to have faith that they, what, ignore that bit of the DBS? Or do I ignore the spent/unspent bit and just fill them in so everything matches. Just curious really, I suppose

pay the £25 for your own DBS check then you can see what they can see.

To be honest I'd just 'fess up, but with DBS you can apply directly to see it.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

It's got a long questionnaire (two actually) about previous convictions and such and kindly makes very clear that I don't need to disclose spent convictions which mine is. But, it also includes a CRB check which is of course going to promptly reveal it.

I'm not particularly worried about the conviction itself as it's not a dishonesty offence and hasn't caused me any grief even working with kids. It just feels a bit weird saying "No, I've never..." knowing that they're going to get a contradictory document.

Do I just have to have faith that they, what, ignore that bit of the DBS? Or do I ignore the spent/unspent bit and just fill them in so everything matches. Just curious really, I suppose
      There is your problem there. 'Never' is not true but it's not what they are aksing. 'I do not have any current convictions' (or whatever the phrase is) is completely factually accurate and in keeping with the guidance of how to fill the document out.

I'm sure, bearing in mind this is their job, they can differentiate between a spend and non spent conviction on your CRB and tie it up with the other document.

Bit of a non question this surely?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        pay the £25 for your own DBS check then you can see what they can see.

To be honest I'd just 'fess up, but with DBS you can apply directly to see it.
        I've got old ones with it on, so pretty confident it'll be there unless they do that super basic one I think

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          There is your problem there. 'Never' is not true but it's not what they are aksing. 'I do not have any current convictions' (or whatever the phrase is) is completely factually accurate and in keeping with the guidance of how to fill the document out.
          That's pretty much my interpretation. I'm probably just overthinking the wording - as it does literally say "Have you ever been convicted....blah blah", but as I don't have to disclose spent convictions the answer is no.

I'm sure, bearing in mind this is their job, they can differentiate between a spend and non spent conviction on your CRB and tie it up with the other document.
          I dunno, they could be contractors.

Bit of a non question this surely?
          Of course it is, but I'm bored

Comment

Of course it is, but I'm bored
            Fair dinkum.

Comment

Rather than get a £25 basic DBS check, pay the extra and get the enhanced version.

The general advice is disclose it, even if spent and no longer needing to disclose, rather than say nothing.

Comment

If it's spent, it's spent.

Under the Rehabilitation Act, any conviction outside of the disclosure period that is considered spent need not be disclosed.

It's a poorly worded question, but your answer, technically, should be no.

(I used to enforce insurance policy voids etc., so once upon a time had to be quite intimate with the act. My wife also has a silly "battery" conviction when she was 16 - I say silly, as she's about 7st, and the battery conviction was for pushing a strapping 6ft 5" neighbour who was fighting with her brother at the time over a long-running neighbourly dispute.... Anyway, I digress - she now works as a care assistant, and does not disclose the conviction despite undergoing a DBS for every job she's ever had).

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
                  If it's spent, it's spent.

Under the Rehabilitation Act, any conviction outside of the disclosure period that is considered spent need not be disclosed.

It's a poorly worded question, but your answer, technically, should be no.

(I used to enforce insurance policy voids etc., so once upon a time had to be quite intimate with the act. My wife also has a silly "battery" conviction when she was 16 - I say silly, as she's about 7st, and the battery conviction was for pushing a strapping 6ft 5" neighbour who was fighting with her brother at the time over a long-running neighbourly dispute.... Anyway, I digress - she now works as a care assistant, and does not disclose the conviction despite undergoing a DBS for every job she's ever had).
                  In 'normal' engagement circumstances, yes, if spent, it need not be disclosed. For security clearance by Government Department or Police etc however, you need to disclose spent convictions depending what is stated on the relevant forms.

Comment

Dan.. You coming to the CUK xmas do?

Comment

Working...
                    X