• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance and recent arrests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearance and recent arrests

Hi,

Within the past year, I have had charges brought up against me, the charges were either dismissed or discontinued. No charges made it to trial, however, for one of the charges i was found formally not guilty in a crown court before trial as there was no evidence, and the other three summary only offences were discontinued a month later before trial at a magistrates court. None of the charges were qualifying offences.

I have no previous convictions, however, I do have a caution for a minor theft from before the age of 16.

I have recently graduated and I am wondering what are my chances at obtaining SC clearance?

Will the recent charges be a problem? Will I have to declare them on the SC application although they did not lead to any convictions?

I know that I will have to declare my caution, but will this be a problem when it comes to clearance?

Thanks in advance

If only we had a huge stickied thread at the top of this part of the forum that gives a standard answer to all these types of questions :
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      If only we had a huge stickied thread at the top of this part of the forum that gives a standard answer to all these types of questions :
      I have read through that, however, I couldn't find information about arrests and charges which resulted in a dismissal or discontinuance.

Comment

Originally posted by kmo1993 View Post
        I have read through that, however, I couldn't find information about arrests and charges which resulted in a dismissal or discontinuance.
        I'd guess that is because we don't really know but there is plenty of advice about what they are looking for and why. Whatever the outcome if it was for littering it's unlikely to matter. If you got caught meeting a Russian with a briefcase full of secrets then you've a snowball hells chance however far it went.

Whatever your situation there is only one thing to do is apply honestly and see what happens. Answer the questions truthfully. If it asks you for convictions then you don't have any. If it asks if you've ever been arrested then you'll have to declare it.
        Either way all you can do is apply and see.

Comment

Are you hoping to go straight for SC clearance or do you intend to start with BPSS and Disclosure first? I'm currently going through the process and so can let you know what is on the forms that have to be filled.
          "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
            Are you hoping to go straight for SC clearance or do you intend to start with BPSS and Disclosure first? I'm currently going through the process and so can let you know what is on the forms that have to be filled.
            Really? I think discussing the content and intentions of the security paperwork is likely to result in a non-favourable outcome.

This stuff is not a joke, it is obscured for a reason.

OP - Answer the questions honestly with your own answers, that's the be all and end all of the process. There are options to expand on any possibly ambiguous areas. Bear in mind that for any serious purposes, the people doing the asking will already know the answers.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Not sure where you get that from, or whether you know what the eff you're on about
              I have not been asked to sign non-disclosure or not to share the forms that I have received for BPSS clearance. A quick search on t'internet and the questions that will be asked are public domain.
              If you care to take a look at the title of the forum it states "For IT contractor companies to discuss business and contract opportunities." rather than snide comments
              "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
                Not sure where you get that from, or whether you know what the eff you're on about
                I have not been asked to sign non-disclosure or not to share the forms that I have received for BPSS clearance. A quick search on t'internet and the questions that will be asked are public domain.
                If you care to take a look at the title of the forum it states "For IT contractor companies to discuss business and contract opportunities." rather than snide comments
                BPSS is not really security clearance, it's merely a better proof of identity. As I said if the clearance is for a more serious purpose then it remains confidential

Nevertheless I am not alone in thinking that discussions of any detail of the processes are not a good idea, even if not specifically forbidden. We're not trying to make it easy or allow people to prepare their responses to optimise their chances after all. YMMV of course...

As for my knowledge levels, I've been involved in a lot of discussion about clearance processes up to and including HMG and the Cabinet Office for many years. They haven't actually got very far for a host of complicated reasons (not least the intransigence of agencies and prime contractors who prefer an easy life) but that hasn't stopped us trying. And quite a lot of the content of that big sticky is my doing.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  BPSS is not really security clearance, it's merely a better proof of identity. As I said if the clearance is for a more serious purpose then it remains confidential

Nevertheless I am not alone in thinking that discussions of any detail of the processes are not a good idea, even if not specifically forbidden. We're not trying to make it easy or allow people to prepare their responses to optimise their chances after all. YMMV of course...

As for my knowledge levels, I've been involved in a lot of discussion about clearance processes up to and including HMG and the Cabinet Office for many years. They haven't actually got very far for a host of complicated reasons (not least the intransigence of agencies and prime contractors who prefer an easy life) but that hasn't stopped us trying. And quite a lot of the content of that big sticky is my doing.
                  Hi Malvolio,

Since you seem to be talking from experience, does it sound like i even have a chance at work requiring SC level clearance?

Comment

Originally posted by kmo1993 View Post
                    Hi Malvolio,

Since you seem to be talking from experience, does it sound like i even have a chance at work requiring SC level clearance?
                    What did you do wrong? If it's related to dishonesty then you are in the lap of the gods and who knows. If it wasn't you'll probably fine. Not sure how you expect us to give you a definitive answer bearing in mind we've next to no detail and as Mal points out, we don't know the background processes.

Comment

Working...
                    X