• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Backing out of a verbally (and via email) agreed contract.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Yes just say because they couldn't provide a start date you had to accept another offer. They won't like it but that's life
    Huh. It was up to the OP to provide the date so he's gonna look a bit daft if he says that.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Huh. It was up to the OP to provide the date so he's gonna look a bit daft if he says that.
      Oops misread that, yeah that is daft

Comment

Originally posted by Syd View Post
        So I got an offer at a new client that I accepted verbally and via email
        I've updated your thread title, to reflect this.

Tell them as soon as possible that you won't be persuing the contract further, as you've had a better offer. Since you've not got a confirmed start date, you are not breaching any agreement.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You've agreed it but not signed it. That's exactly what Roy Keane's situation was with Blackburn before he moved to United. He'd verbally agreed a move with Dalglish but Fergie managed to get in touch with him and persuade him to go to Old Trafford instead. Without a signed contract, it just means that you've got an angry agent. Win-win some would say.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

So confused. Did client/agent give you a start date or are they waiting for you to confirm the date?

Different. I'd have said, if you were waiting for the its different and all bets are off.

Either way agent and client are going to be pissed off but they'll get over it.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              So confused. Did client/agent give you a start date or are they waiting for you to confirm the date?

Different. I'd have said, if you were waiting for the its different and all bets are off.

Either way agent and client are going to be pissed off but they'll get over it.
              it's pretty clear if you read the OP, someone else has even misunderstood, AND been corrected before you posted

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                if you have agreed everything but start date, and want to back out, simply push for a start date of say April 2035... they will be unlikely to hold you to the contract even if they could enforce it
                This is the best answer. It is technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Comment

Working...
                X