• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to say to "Are you interviewing somewhere"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not sure what to say if Agent or interviewer asks "Are you interviewing somewhere?

So far I have said No because agent wouldnt consider anyone who may not be available during the interview process.Is it true?

But what to say if interviewer asks the same question.would you say the truth so he wont delay in making decision?

Answer the question truthfully but only answer the exact question asked.

If the question is "are you interviewing?", then clearly not, unless you are a hiring manager.
    If the question is "Are you being interviewed", then the answer is also no. (It would be crazy to be talking to the agent while you're actually being interviewed).
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I generally just tell the truth.

Which is usually “there’s a couple of roles I’m being considered for but not nothing is standing out”.

Usually this makes them a bit more interested and also gets their skates on.

Comment

They're just fishing for leads.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
          They're just fishing for leads.
          or adding to their checklist of reasons they might not short list you for their own role.

Comment

Agent: Generally just no. It matters not to them, and I certainly don't owe them any honest around it.

Interviewer: Depends, I guess, I don't think I've ever been asked directly in interview. In such discussions, I tend to go for lines around "I'm currently chatting to a couple of previous clients about some upcoming projects, but nothing firm yet". In my mind, it strengthens the B2B side and makes you sound like people want you.

Comment

Agents will lie, so lie back. They want sure bets, so not someone who has 3 interviews next week that the client might really like.
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

It would be awful for them - after making as many as half a dozen five minute phonecalls - to lose out on a good whack of your day rate every day for months and months, just because you accepted something else before they could lock you in.

I wouldn't worry about it, but being so vague as to be almost lying is probably alright.

Comment

At the end of each day, I stop looking for a new role. In the morning, I start looking.

Which means that I can be perfectly honest and say "I've only just started looking"
                  I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Appreciate your advise/comments!It is just that how we answer to such question matter most in the interview. No body asks the stuff for which they are recruiting.

Comment

Working...
                    X