• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to say to "Are you interviewing somewhere"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the above reasons it makes sense to say no.

I do wonder though whether agents are trying to gauge whether a contractor is capable of getting and passing interviews?

Comment

Lie to them. If they think you're on the verge of being off the market due to another offer then they may not want to waste one of your slots on you.

I always say I've got a few things on the go. Usually makes it sound like I;m good then
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Generally, I'll say I've only recently started looking, had some interest in my CV and am awaiting feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Lie to them. If they think you're on the verge of being off the market due to another offer then they may not want to waste one of your slots on you.

I always say I've got a few things on the go. Usually makes it sound like I;m good then
          Ever the professional hey PC. Shame you have to lie to make it sound like you are good. Speaks volumes.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kprad35 View Post
            I am not sure what to say if Agent or interviewer asks "Are you interviewing somewhere?
            Generally, it is a stupid question that deserves a stupid answer. "No, I mandate I always keep all my eggs in one basket."

That said, like above, I will say I have just started looking to keep the peace.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Ever the professional hey PC. Shame you have to lie to make it sound like you are good. Speaks volumes.
              Dont talk bollacks NLUK. You and I both know that the agent are not asking you to make conversation or to be friendly - they are trying to get information to see if you are worth bothering with.

Honestly, now we go on about keep looking until your sat at the desk. If you got an offer to start in two weeks, yet week after got an agent on line asking you to interview somewhere else would you say "Yes but I have offered a gig already and probably going to take it".

No you would not. Because you know the agent would think "sod that not wasting my slot on him he'll take that other gig".

Am I lying here?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Unless you're at the dole office, in which case you borrow your gran's old wheelchair.

Comment

I just tell them Im retired now!

When I was working, I used to try and gauge the situation. Sometimes I told them yes, I had an interview lined up. Did it lose me jobs? Maybe but I know it also got me in front of a couple of interviewers.

If an interviewer asked, always told them the SP honestly so they wouldnt be surprised if they dragged their feet and Id gone 'off the market' due to another offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Unless you're at the dole office, in which case you borrow your gran's old wheelchair.

Remember OG - JSA claimant is a perfectly valid career choice in the Welsh valleys ;-)

Comment

I propose two points here

1) The agent is seeking to understand whether you have any serious offers on the table that would stop you from a) attending interview and/or b) taking up the offer if one was on the table, and so avoiding wasting her/his time especially if they can only submit x amount of CVs to the end client

2) The agent is trying to extract leads from you when you respond "yes, I'm interviewing at xyz Ltd"

One can always tell if the agent is after a lead as they normally come back with either a blatant "who is interviewing you?" or that other old chestnut of "is it Joe Bloggs holding the interview as I know him well?" hoping that you fall for the trap and respond "no, it's frederica smith actually".

I tend to state, as others have replied, that I have only just started to look so at show willingness/keeness and never reveal anything about option #2
                      "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

Comment

Working...
                      X