• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I got an extra 25 on day rate via recruiter, why?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got an extra 25 on day rate via recruiter, why?

Hello all,

I'm not complaining but... I interview and got offered a new contract last week.

I had quoted my fee which was fine. But when the recruiter came back with the offer he said that he got me day rate with an extra £25. Obviously this is great.

Why did that happen though. I though the recruiter would just pocket it. Who pays people more than they ask for?

Would the end client have been involved in this or what?

Is this normal?

Thanks

He could be on a fixed percentage so he can't pocket it and the client has a rate card so the price is fixed.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

He pocketed the other £75 p/d on your lowball quote and felt bad for you.

DodgyAgent would've pocketed the lot.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        He could be on a fixed percentage so he can't pocket it and the client has a rate card so the price is fixed.
        Ok makes sense, thanks.

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Perhaps. But my requested quote wasn't really lowball imho.

Comment

Basically probably what NLUK said.

Same happened to me I got ~£50 above my rate. But only because he’s on fixed margin and told me their top rate to quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
            Basically probably what NLUK said.

Same happened to me I got ~£50 above my rate. But only because he’s on fixed margin and told me their top rate to quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
            Cool. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Looks like in this case the agent is being kept honest by the client and realises the better option is to play fair so the agency get the money for however many contractors they have placed at the client rather than screwing over one contractor and risking client finding out.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Happened to me before, and that was before the interview.

Agent: what is your day rate?
                Me: £xxx (very good rate at time, my highest ever if I get it)
                A: hmm, ok, but I think I can get you £xxx+£50
                Me: ...... Ok!

Comment

Originally posted by password View Post
                  Hello all,

I'm not complaining but... I interview and got offered a new contract last week.

I had quoted my fee which was fine. But when the recruiter came back with the offer he said that he got me day rate with an extra £25. Obviously this is great.

Why did that happen though. I though the recruiter would just pocket it. Who pays people more than they ask for?

Would the end client have been involved in this or what?

Is this normal?

Thanks
                  As others said, the client can pay more, the agency is on fixed percentage so best to get the highest rate possible. It also tells you the agent thinks they can get that rate for you which is a good sign, e.g. the agent knows the client has been looking for long time and/or is willing to take someone ASAP up to given rate.

Comment

Working...
                  X