• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worried about new contract and references (Absent a lot for previous contract)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried about new contract and references (Absent a lot for previous contract)

Hello,

So I am just finishing up a contract now, which I have been absent from, for a very significant number of weeks during the contract.

It turns out I have been absent for the vast majority of the contract really, due to illness.

I have just secured a new contract and wondering about when it comes to the reference stage what the new agency / client will look for.

If they require a contract from previous client, I will ask previous for a reference but worried about what they will say etc. Technically, I have been contracted with them for a period of time and did good work there (when present) so that should be it really. It comes down to if they resent the absence and just mark me as a failure/bit flaky etc and hold it against me.

My biggest worry is that this reference might affect new role and ultimately result in client pulling out.

Has this happened to somebody before?

This is one of the perils of contracting.. if I was a permie in a place for a number of years this wouldn't even be an issue.

You guys might say I am jumping the gun but once the agency contact me this will all move very fast and I'm wondering how to act if this becomes an issue.

Thanks

Wouldn’t worry. But if asked, be honest.

Generally if they check references they will just be confirming start and end dates. Not your absence record.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
      Wouldn’t worry. But if asked, be honest.

Generally if they check references they will just be confirming start and end dates. Not your absence record.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      Sure, but what if the previous client specifies the last day I was in the office? :/

I have been absent at the tail end of the contract also (up to expiry).

Comment

If you have already secured the new contract (I.e. signed the paperwork and are on site), then it shouldn’t be a problem unless you make it one.
        If you have only secured an interview or a verbal offer, that’s a different matter.

So, have you got the contract signed or not?
        If you’ve already signed and they haven’t asked for references yet, then you are panicking over nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Contractor UK Forum
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Use your previous agency as a reference.

I have been absent at the tail end of the contract also (up to expiry).
          That said, I think you've been a smidge naughty here - people tend to equate contract dates with actually working or, at least, being available to work. While strictly speaking you were "In contract", I think you're being dishonest by putting down dates where you were neither working nor available to do so.
          Last edited by vwdan; 3 December 2018, 09:58.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            If you have already secured the new contract (I.e. signed the paperwork and are on site), then it shouldn’t be a problem unless you make it one.
            If you have only secured an interview or a verbal offer, that’s a different matter.

So, have you got the contract signed or not?
            If you’ve already signed and they haven’t asked for references yet, then you are panicking over nothing.
            So what I do have is verbal offer after interview and waiting on all the paper work to come through. Yes, I am panicking over possibly nothing at the moment. But this role is really interesting and, like I say, I just want to see if others have been in a similar setting / advice on what to potentially do, as these things generally move fast when they get going.

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            Use your previous agency as a reference.

That said, I think you've been a smidge naughty here - people tend to equate contract dates with actually working or, at least, being available to work. While strictly speaking you were "In contract", I think you're being dishonest by putting down dates where you were neither working nor available to do so.
            Yes, fair. I have been a little and felt weird doing so. That said. I kind of panicked by these questions and just went along with what sounded best.

I honestly didn't know how to address it in the interview or come clean etc. Basically this issue is that I was burnt out as I didn't look after myself and take appropriate breaks etc. I also have been to doc and had some medication etc.

How does one articulate all that at an interview. Especially in the case that it was burn out (mental health category) and we all know there is still stigma around that.

I have no problems talking to anybody except "the business" about this. Mainly because if they are prejudiced then that may affect my ability to make a living.

If that makes sense? While this is neither hear nor there.. if you knew me personally you would know I am pretty honest and professional.

Comment

Originally posted by password View Post
              I honestly didn't know how to address it in the interview or come clean etc. Basically this issue is that I was burnt out as I didn't look after myself and take appropriate breaks etc. I also have been to doc and had some medication etc.

How does one articulate all that at an interview. Especially in the case that it was burn out (mental health category) and we all know there is still stigma around that.
              Just don't unless directly asked, in which case you explain that unfortunately you were ill.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                Just don't unless directly asked, in which case you explain that unfortunately you were ill.
                Ok. Shall I come clean in that case?

If I was certain it would become an issue then it would be better to get out in front of it.. but if I wasn't sure it would come up I could be exposing my self to downside risk.

I need to feel out my current client I think.

If I was going to address it. I think I would say to agent. "By the way, for what it's worth.... I was absent.... I was ill but recovered now"...?

Comment

Originally posted by password View Post
                  Ok. Shall I come clean in that case?

If I was certain it would become an issue then it would be better to get out in front of it.. but if I wasn't sure it would come up I could be exposing my self to downside risk.

I need to feel out my current client I think.

If I was going to address it. I think I would say to agent. "By the way, for what it's worth.... I was absent.... I was ill but recovered now"...?
                  I wouldn't say anything unless asked which they won't ask. If they do ask be honest and say you were I'll... you don't need to go further than that or explain yourself as it's a confidential matter between yourself and your company as you are employed by your company. The client doesn't need to or should know anything else

Comment

Well the reference documents have come through and the authorisation mentions reason for leaving.

Comment

Working...
                    X