• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiter says "maximum daily rate is... "

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I've just bloody told you in my last post..... Note to add to that. Clients never increase their prices. Keep that mantra in your head and you a) won't be far wrong and b) don't have to worry about it. You sign at a price you are happy with so just be happy with it.
    Hey NLUK, I just saw your last post, I must have posted at the same time as you did! Geez!

Also to your point, how successful have you (or anyone else) been when asked a recruiter, "are you on a fixed commission?" and didn't get back an answer such as "this is irrelevant", "this is confidential", "I can't tell you this", or anyway they were adamant that you ain't getting an answer? I know, you don't ask you don't get but is it really worth it?

Ans why would they tell you anyway?
    Last edited by Skag; 5 December 2018, 11:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Skag View Post

It's in their interest to tell you if they are. If they're not, it's against their interest to tell you they're not. Draw your own conclusions.

@NLUK - I've extracted extra from the client a number of times in my contracting career.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hey NLUK, I just saw your last post, I must have posted at the same time as you did! Geez!

Also to your point, how successful have you (or anyone else) been when asked a recruiter, "are you on a fixed commission?" and didn't get back an answer such as "this is irrelevant", "this is confidential", "I can't tell you this", or anyway they were adamant that you ain't getting an answer? I know, you don't ask you don't get but is it really worth it?

4 out of 4 of the last gigs for me. I tend to work for larger organisations, all of which had inhouse or preferred recruiter so common sense would say they've negotiated a better deal to have a sole provider that suits both parties, both in best process and price. In all 4 cases I asked the question and they were quite happy to tell me.

Why wouldn't they tell you? It's no great secret and just puts any messing about to bed. Because they are on fixed commission they'll be focussed on reducing the amount to time spent on each contractor. If they can avoid some one going back and fro and buggering about with rates they can do nothing about then why not. There is zero benefit to them to keep it secret. They can't skim the rates or need to hide them.

When they start getting devious about an answer then you can assume they aren't on a fixed rate and it's negotiation time.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          @NLUK - I've extracted extra from the client a number of times in my contracting career.
          I am sure you have but I'd be willing to be it's not by sitting at a desk doing the same job and 'expecting' a pay rise. I'd also imagine you have the experience and wherewithal to see through the situation and secure one.

Things the your average Joe contractor that feels they want more don't have.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There is a difference between "the max is 500 what would you like to go over at" and "hello, you successfully passed the interview and the client wants to offer you the role". I would suggest going over at 500/day, have the interview, if you successfully pass the interview and are offered the role, begin to negotiate the rate upward. Depending on the size of your cojones, you may get more cash ;-)
            "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
              There is a difference between "the max is 500 what would you like to go over at" and "hello, you successfully passed the interview and the client wants to offer you the role". I would suggest going over at 500/day, have the interview, if you successfully pass the interview and are offered the role, begin to negotiate the rate upward. Depending on the size of your cojones, you may get more cash ;-)
              That's another thing I considered, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
                I reckon if you can get more (right now) then do so. Otherwise, really consider if it's worth the fight - the client might just not have any more in the budget.

If you land a contract in two weeks on 550 as opposed to one today on 500 then you need to work 100 days to break even on the bench time.
                Yup. Precisely the argument I use for contracting.

And in fact when a prospective tenant wants to knock £10 off per month but is ready to move in right now.

Zero point in waiting for what will only be an issue of pride.

Comment

That's another thing I considered, thanks.
                  You will no doubt be asked to respond with a right to represent email along the lines of

I, Skag, give Dodgy Agent Ltd, Right to represent for the position of : said position @ £500/day including expenses

I would suggest you respond to such a request with

[I]I, Skag, give Dodgy Agent Ltd, Right to represent for the position of : said position [I]
                  "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

Comment

Read this and ponder

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/day-r...sh-mark-pratt/

Comment

If you're good they'll pay your rate. Agent's will screw you over any chance they get. If you haven't gotten over 20% their "max rate" then you are the one being bent over.

Comment

Working...
                      X