• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiter says "maximum daily rate is... "

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I've just bloody told you in my last post..... Note to add to that. Clients never increase their prices. Keep that mantra in your head and you a) won't be far wrong and b) don't have to worry about it. You sign at a price you are happy with so just be happy with it.
    They do, if you are good and they are desperate for you to come back

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2573692
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      They do, if you are good and they are desperate for you to come back

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2573692
      I've had increases in almost all of my contracts, you need to be able to negotiate properly, have some balls and also be very skilled. Obviously bum on seat contractors like NLUK will accept whatever the client/agent tells him.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
        Obviously bum on seat contractors like NLUK will accept whatever the client/agent tells him.

Well, I asked, and they said on a fixed commission...whaddaya know...
        So I reckon, when in comes to renewal, this "fixed commission" will lessen?

Comment

Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
          Very nice, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Skag View Post

Well, I asked, and they said on a fixed commission...whaddaya know...
            So I reckon, when in comes to renewal, this "fixed commission" will lessen?
            Good grief.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Do you know of any good negotiation techniques when a recruiter says (the £500 is an example)

In regards to rate, we will have to agree a figure as I am not able to submit a range unfortunately. The top end would be £500 – please let me know what you would like to go over at.

500 may be a good price but I know that I can get 550 or 600 for my skillset. If the recruiter insists that 500 is max how would you play it?
              Don't get greedy! if you normally contract yourself out at 550 - 600 and this role is 500 then you decide based on the state of the market, how long will you be on the bench for if you dont take the role..

Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
              I reckon if you can get more (right now) then do so. Otherwise, really consider if it's worth the fight - the client might just not have any more in the budget.

If you land a contract in two weeks on 550 as opposed to one today on 500 then you need to work 100 days to break even on the bench time.
              Totally on point. Think big picture!

WLB

Comment

Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
                This, of course, completely ignores the value of having a week or two of bench time and assumes that every single day of a contractors career is all about working, billing, earning.

This is fine for those whose entire life revolves around chasing the almighty £££, and who would probably work until they drop at a relatively young age due to burnout and exhaustion.

However, as baffling and alien as it might seem to some, there are those of us who do not contract solely to chase the money, but do it more for the freedom, autonomy and empowerment that self-direction of one's own life can bring. I, personally, greatly value some time off to relax, recuperate and generally unwind and do very little. It recharges the batteries and improves the general sense of well-being and mindset, allowing the next gig that comes along to benefit from that. Such rest and relaxation hopefully also allows me to prolong my contracting career as I'm treating it more as a marathon and less as a sprint and should also hopefully allow me to ease gently into retirement with some free time for family and friends and in good enough health that I'm less likely to immediately drop dead from such a jarring experience of stopping after having spent a lifetime going at 1000 miles per hour.

To each their own, of course, but be very wary of someone pontificating something as gospel as though one size fits all. It most certainly does not.

Comment

It is certainly a good argument, but without the OP stating this as a happy alternative, in this case it looks as though he is Just chasing the £.

Comment

Hey NLUK, I just saw your last post, I must have posted at the same time as you did! Geez!

Also to your point, how successful have you (or anyone else) been when asked a recruiter, "are you on a fixed commission?" and didn't get back an answer such as "this is irrelevant", "this is confidential", "I can't tell you this", or anyway they were adamant that you ain't getting an answer? I know, you don't ask you don't get but is it really worth it?

Ans why would they tell you anyway?
                    Why are you talking to the agent? You might as well just shout out the window. Talk to the client, if the client won't talk to you that is your real problem. People on here are really quite dopey.
                    Last edited by Stevie Wonder Boy; 7 December 2018, 13:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy View Post
                      Why are you talking to the agent? You might as well just shout out the window. Talk to the client, if the client won't talk to you that is your real problem. People on here are really quite dopey.
                      Why would you talk to the client? Your contract is with the agency.
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X