• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiter says "maximum daily rate is... "

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruiter says "maximum daily rate is... "

Do you know of any good negotiation techniques when a recruiter says (the £500 is an example)

In regards to rate, we will have to agree a figure as I am not able to submit a range unfortunately. The top end would be £500 – please let me know what you would like to go over at.

500 may be a good price but I know that I can get 550 or 600 for my skillset. If the recruiter insists that 500 is max how would you play it?

Tell them that it is very generous and you could probably go in for slightly under that per hour if the role is an interesting one.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I reckon if you can get more (right now) then do so. Otherwise, really consider if it's worth the fight - the client might just not have any more in the budget.

If you land a contract in two weeks on 550 as opposed to one today on 500 then you need to work 100 days to break even on the bench time.
      Last edited by amanwhoisquiet; 5 December 2018, 11:05. Reason: not just > just not

Comment

Originally posted by Skag View Post
        Do you know of any good negotiation techniques when a recruiter says (the £500 is an example)

In regards to rate, we will have to agree a figure as I am not able to submit a range unfortunately. The top end would be £500 – please let me know what you would like to go over at.

500 may be a good price but I know that I can get 550 or 600 for my skillset. If the recruiter insists that 500 is max how would you play it?
        Think this depends on how much you want the role, whether you would accept £500 per day, how rare your skillset is and whether not taking the role at £500 per day (if you get it) would incur any benchtime, and how much benchtime would it incur before you got a role at £550 - £600?

If the agent has said max is £500, chances are they already have others they can put forward at that rate or lower. If you push for more you risk them not putting you forward anyway. Unless you have another offer on the table or want to use that as a bluff, I would say your chances are very low. However, if you say you have an offer on the table, they will probably not put you forward anyway.

You could argue the market is paying more if you are confident of getting £550-£600. Alternatively, you could go in at £500 to begin with and then negotiate up after you have had the interview using info gleaned in the interview about extras dutires / skills needed for the role which weren't in the recruiters job spec?

Comment

What you can get and what the client is offering is to totally different things.

I'm always amazed when posts like this (and there are a lot of them) pop and the OP has failed to ask if the agent is on fixed commission (and got him to confirm it in writing). Instead the contractor fumbles around in the dark with out a key piece of information. It's not hard and should be the first question.

If the agent is on fixed commission then your negotiation wiggle is virtually nil. They will be pushing for the best rate for you as their income is linked directly to it. No ripping you off or anything. It's just not in their interest to put you in cheaply as they've nothing to gain. No point trying to second guess them or putting any work in. Your gain will come from the client and good luck trying to push that. It's likely if the agent is on fixed commission they will also be working to a rate card. If you want more than the rate card then good for you, there will be a 100 contractors behind you happy to meet it.

If the agent confirms they aren't on fixed commission then negotiate away. It's down to the size of your cojones, and quite frankly, if you have to ask questions like this then they aren't big enough.

Amanwhoisquiet has made the most important point so far as well.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Good answers, I agree it's prudent to go with the mentioned rate of £500, and if something else comes up, then I can go for the other one. Or, upon contract end, negotiate another rate.

However, I've got a question: how would I ever be able to ask for more, if even when the client increases its price, the agency skims more, so client offers 700, agency keeps 200, but if client offers 800, agency keeps 300! How would I ever know that?

Comment

Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
              If you land a contract in two weeks on 550 as opposed to one today on 500 then you need to work 100 days to break even on the bench time.
              Nailed it.

Comment

how would I ever be able to ask for more, if even when the client increases its price, the agency skims more, so client offers 700, agency keeps 200, but if client offers 800, agency keeps 300! How would I ever know that?
                You might end up working alongside another contractor. If they're on a very low rate, it'll be a big deal for them and they'll let it slip in conversation, if they're on a very high rate, it'll be a big deal for them and they'll let it slip in conversation. At that point you might get a read on what the client is prepared to pay and you might be able to base your renewal chat on the new info you have.

Comment

Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
                  You might end up working alongside another contractor. If they're on a very low rate, it'll be a big deal for them and they'll let it slip in conversation, if they're on a very high rate, it'll be a big deal for them and they'll let it slip in conversation. At that point you might get a read on what the client is prepared to pay and you might be able to base your renewal chat on the new info you have.
                  good point

Comment

Good answers, I agree it's prudent to go with the mentioned rate of £500, and if something else comes up, then I can go for the other one. Or, upon contract end, negotiate another rate.

However, I've got a question: how would I ever be able to ask for more, if even when the client increases its price, the agency skims more, so client offers 700, agency keeps 200, but if client offers 800, agency keeps 300! How would I ever know that?
                    I've just bloody told you in my last post..... Note to add to that. Clients never increase their prices. Keep that mantra in your head and you a) won't be far wrong and b) don't have to worry about it. You sign at a price you are happy with so just be happy with it.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X