• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiter says "maximum daily rate is... "

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Why would you talk to the client? Your contract is with the agency.
    Dopey as stated ...

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy View Post
      Dopey as stated ...
      Chaps, there really isn't an easy and 'one size fits all' type of answer to this.

Contractually, the handshake is between contractor and agent. But at the end of the day, it will come down to relationships and with whom one has the better one. Agent or Client.

For my part, I have negotiated via both.

The contractor will just have to consider the environment, assess what s/he is trying to achieve and decided on which avenue lies the better chance of success.

Obviously, this is in relation to a renewal and rate increase, not for a new contract where all relations are likely new.
      Last edited by simes; 14 January 2019, 12:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Skag View Post
        Do you know of any good negotiation techniques when a recruiter says (the £500 is an example)

In regards to rate, we will have to agree a figure as I am not able to submit a range unfortunately. The top end would be £500 – please let me know what you would like to go over at.

500 may be a good price but I know that I can get 550 or 600 for my skillset. If the recruiter insists that 500 is max how would you play it?
        Tell them you can get 550 to 600 and hold out for that. Emphasise your expertise and experience.

Comment

Same issue. I am leaving Big4 after 13 years of Risk Consulting experiences and the market had been overwhelming with offers - from £400 to £1200. I don’t want to be a contractor in the long run, want to build a business around that but the question is what is a good rate? This market is very dominated by Big4 and I have seen myself going from £1600 to £3500 per day with Big4 brands. Now I am going in my own, how to decide the rate?

Sent from my iPad using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by TechRiskPartners View Post
            Same issue. I am leaving Big4 after 13 years of Risk Consulting experiences and the market had been overwhelming with offers - from £400 to £1200. I don’t want to be a contractor in the long run, want to build a business around that but the question is what is a good rate? This market is very dominated by Big4 and I have seen myself going from £1600 to £3500 per day with Big4 brands. Now I am going in my own, how to decide the rate?

Sent from my iPad using Contractor UK Forum
            £1200 sounds quite good

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              What you can get and what the client is offering is to totally different things.

I'm always amazed when posts like this (and there are a lot of them) pop and the OP has failed to ask if the agent is on fixed commission (and got him to confirm it in writing).
              The number of recruiters that will start sharing their client's contractual terms with some random contractor is close to zero, and those that do are likely idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I've just bloody told you in my last post..... Note to add to that. Clients never increase their prices. Keep that mantra in your head and you a) won't be far wrong and b) don't have to worry about it. You sign at a price you are happy with so just be happy with it.
                Clients never increase their prices? lol You must have worked with some terrible recruiters. Decent recruiters are constantly aware of the market rates and aim to increase charge rates to clients.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent View Post
                  The number of recruiters that will start sharing their client's contractual terms with some random contractor is close to zero, and those that do are likely idiots.
                  Well that's certainly not true for nearly every gig I've ever done and I know from posts on here many others have managed to find out if an agency is on fixed commission. There is nothing in it to keep this information secret, in fact quite the opposite, by (truthfully) confirming they are on fixed commission kills any negotiations pretty much dead so they can get on with the process.

Clients never increase their prices? lol You must have worked with some terrible recruiters. Decent recruiters are constantly aware of the market rates and aim to increase charge rates to clients.
                  This maybe the case when the agent engages but on the whole, if the gig is out there then the rate card is fixed. Very rarely will the agent go back to the client and get them to raise their rates just because a contractor is negotiation. It's much more likely to come out of their commission then them going back to the client. If they've done their job as you say the money on the table will be the right rate for that role at the time.

There are exceptions to this rule but the only way you'd know is to be on the ground at the client and do your homework. Being a bum on seat contractor expecting 50 quid a day from a client just because they have been there 6 months is not the way.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The way I see it is as follows. If you have other leads on a higher rate, then simply leave it, they might come back, and continue following up the other leads. If you have no other leads and the offer is on the table take it. No harm in trying for a small increase, but don't push.

If you are below market rates you will have other offers, if not it's the best you can get in the current market.

For a 3 or 6 month contract it isn't worth holding out several weeks for a better one at a higher rate. The market will go up and down depending on supply and demand.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

I personally have a daily rate I won't go under (unless the wolf really is at the door) and even then I take into account expenses.

Comment

Working...
                      X