• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help! What do I do when I have not received contract renewal the last week before fur

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! What do I do when I have not received contract renewal the last week before fur

Hi,

I work for an organization that has communicated that they will be extending my contract. It was due to end in November 2018 and despite chasing from November with the agent I still have nothing.

I spoke to my line manager and she said it's out of her hands. She has communicated her interest to extend but she can't control the issuance of the contract.

I told them that I need confirmation that I will have a job in January 2019 before I resume. I don't want to be stuck so what do you advise

Tell the agent you are leaving site and won't be back until a contract appears.

I think you'll be quite surprised how quickly one appears.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Tell the agent you are leaving site and won't be back until a contract appears.

I think you'll be quite surprised how quickly one appears.
      Lol. Good one. My contract miraculously got extended until December 14th. The agent is an asshole. I realise witholding the timesheet gets results so I will not be submitting the one for the last two weeks until next year January when I know what's happening .

In fact, that's the way to play it now.

Comment

So your contract ended at the end of Nov and you carried on working (bad)? Now you’ve been extended till Thursday (14th)?

Basically don’t turn up after Thursday unless you are extended again.

I’d also recommend brushing up on IR35 if you are currently outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I have refused to work with clients if they haven't extended a contract. I still have a very good working relationship with one of them and return regularly (it's where I'm working today!).

Be firm but polite and only state the facts. After date X your contract ends and you will not conduct any tasks for the client or attend site.

Your contract has a clear end date. It's not just about working at risk of not getting paid. In some cases, the client's public liability insurance is voided if you do not have a contract covering your right to be working on the premises. That could get very costly if you were to trip over the cleaner's mop bucket...

I find it odd that the agency reacted to a lack of timesheets. I'm surprised they cared about that as no timesheet = no pay (in the vast majority of cases) and so it's a no cost issue for them.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I have refused to work with clients if they haven't extended a contract. I still have a very good working relationship with one of them and return regularly (it's where I'm working today!).

Be firm but polite and only state the facts. After date X your contract ends and you will not conduct any tasks for the client or attend site.

Your contract has a clear end date. It's not just about working at risk of not getting paid. In some cases, the client's public liability insurance is voided if you do not have a contract covering your right to be working on the premises. That could get very costly if you were to trip over the cleaner's mop bucket...

I find it odd that the agency reacted to a lack of timesheets. I'm surprised they cared about that as no timesheet = no pay (in the vast majority of cases) and so it's a no cost issue for them.
            The agency also will lose revenue though as they won't be able to bill the end client, so will lose their margin. But seems like OP is cutting their nose off to spite their face a bit?

Comment

I had a client do this EVERY renewal. Leave it till the last day.

One year they didn't so 5pm phoned the manager (who was in different country) and told him I wouldn't be in. He was a bit off and expected me to take a "verbal" renewal. I said nope email please which for some reason he didn't want to do.

Alarm bells here. So I didn't turn up. By 11am it was all sorted.....

Found out sometime later that another guy in the past had worked a few weeks on this "verbal" renewal thing then got told "ah sorry the budget got canned we can't renew or pay you for those weeks. Sorry!"

Not a small company either. Big well known multi-national....
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrandNewOne View Post
                Hi,

I work for an organization that has communicated that they will be extending my contract. It was due to end in November 2018 and despite chasing from November with the agent I still have nothing.

I spoke to my line manager and she said it's out of her hands. She has communicated her interest to extend but she can't control the issuance of the contract.

I told them that I need confirmation that I will have a job in January 2019 before I resume. I don't want to be stuck so what do you advise
                Tell them that your insurance requires a written renewal contract which must be submitted for approval. You are sorry and you would love to help but rules are rules.
                "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

At a regular, repeat client, Adecco pissed about with the 6th extension paperwork. Id told them I wanted it asap but they delayed and delayed.

Since it was a repeat client and against my better judgement, I turned up and worked. After 4 days, Adecco phoned me up and say I have to leave the site due to not signing the renewal.

I pointed out it was me who was still waiting for the contract to appear in the on line portal. I said I would have a word with the hiring manager, who was sat 5 metres from me, and, explain they (Adecco) had told me to leave the site because they hadnt made the renewal documents available to me. I told them I knew she wouldnt be very happy since we were at a critical phase of the project.

Adecco asked me to 'hold fire' while they investigated. 5 minutes later they phoned back and said the extension would be available via their portal by 5pm that night and if I could sign it, everything would be sweet. I very nearly didnt sign it just to be awkward.

I wouldnt recommend working without everything being tied up and it was the only time I did.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    I have refused to work with clients if they haven't extended a contract.
                    It was thanks to someone like you that I got my first contract back in 1996. But I agree. No working without contract.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X