• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private GP - anyone use?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    Guy in front of me was forced to reveal his girlfriend missed her period and she had tested positive on several pregnancy tests and he was there to schedule whatever the first appointment is when you're pregnant
    You don’t need to go to your GP if you are pregnant. You self refer online to your hospital of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Can you just say you need an urgent appointment? Every GP I ever had makes same-day appointments if you call up early enough.
      Aye. Its a lottery ringing at 8am trying to get through. If you don't get through by 810am then chances are all gone.

Bit off saying its urgent though. Thats why no-one can get appointments because of people lying about how urgent it is. I've had the back problem for months now so whereas, I want an appointment, flagging it as urgent is taking the piss a bit IMHO.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        We live in an area with one of the top 10 GP surgeries in the UK, their service is top notch. Can always get to speak to the doc every day. They have a call service; you phone in morning and GP will always call you back (at an agreed time) to do a phone appointment. If not urgent, he may prescribe over the phone. If urgent, he will have some free slots later that day. They run 2 evenings a week too for workers, going to 9 o'clock.

110% better than the surgery we had in the area we used to live. Like chalk and cheese. Does beg the question why most surgeries can't offer a decent service.

My HID has a life limiting disability and illness and our GP even gives her a call (unprompted) to see how she is getting on and to see if she needs anything.

Such a shame all NHS surgeries can't offer a good service - if some can, they should all be able to offer a similar service!
        Sounds good. Phone appts are a good idea. My GP surgery just do not give a tulipe.

Thats the problem with the NHS these days. It could be better with a bit of though. Problem is the attitude is "Its the NHS, its free, so stop moaning and put up with it". Gets my goat aye.

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
          You don’t need to go to your GP if you are pregnant. You self refer online to your hospital of choice.
          Im deffo not pregnant. Route two last time ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
            I'm lucky in that my GP is directly opposite my house. So I go there at 8:30am on the dot and book it face to face while the phones ring non-stop in the background.

Can recommend going in person if possible, then I can rock up to my gig at 9am usually if I'm working locally, otherwise just work later. Most places are pretty flexible around doctors appointments if not in general.

They usually let you book for 2 days later, so rock up tues morning for appointment on thursday. Sometimes have really good early slots as well, been seen at 7:30am before.

They recently allowed online booking but there is a 3-4 week lead time which is stupid.

You have to type your symptoms in as well, and also tell them to the receptionist when booking in person.

Guy in front of me was forced to reveal his girlfriend missed her period and she had tested positive on several pregnancy tests and he was there to schedule whatever the first appointment is when you're pregnant, while several cronies strained their neck to nosy in on everything. It was a bit cringe watching this poor guy put on the spot when he really didn't want to tell the world about it, having to blurt all this out. Poor bugger.
            Receptionist Piss me off. Often tempted when they ask while your standing there to whip out the old boy and say "look at the rash I've got on that monster"

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Sounds good. Phone appts are a good idea. My GP surgery just do not give a tulipe.

Thats the problem with the NHS these days. It could be better with a bit of though. Problem is the attitude is "Its the NHS, its free, so stop moaning and put up with it". Gets my goat aye.
              GP surgeries are private practices IIRC so you can't just blame the NHS for everything. Some are great, some are terrible... You can lay blame at NHS funding and quotas but clearly the people running each practice share responsibility

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Had a cold for a couple of weeks that has turned into a chest infection. As I have asthma, and the wife is disabled and I'm her main carer, it's important I take these things seriously (at least that's what my wife tells me!). At 9:30 this morning I call up the docs to see if I could get an appointment. At 9:50 GP calls me back for a chat. He agrees that they need to run some tests, so I'm in the surgery at 10:30. Back home by 11 with meds from chemist. (Doc also agreed that wife was right and I need to take the infection seriously, and it isn't sensible to just MTFU, or rule #5 for cyclists. Pah, what's a little pneumonia? )

It's hard to understand how if one surgery can run like this, all others can't. Even the receptionists have a good attitude, which is not my experience from dealing with docs in other parts of the country.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Had a cold for a couple of weeks that has turned into a chest infection. As I have asthma, and the wife is disabled and I'm her main carer, it's important I take these things seriously (at least that's what my wife tells me!). At 9:30 this morning I call up the docs to see if I could get an appointment. At 9:50 GP calls me back for a chat. He agrees that they need to run some tests, so I'm in the surgery at 10:30. Back home by 11 with meds from chemist. (Doc also agreed that wife was right and I need to take the infection seriously, and it isn't sensible to just MTFU, or rule #5 for cyclists. Pah, what's a little pneumonia? )

It's hard to understand how if one surgery can run like this, all others can't. Even the receptionists have a good attitude, which is not my experience from dealing with docs in other parts of the country.

Because a log of them have the attitude- we dont give a tulip. Shut up and wait.

Comment

It probably depends a lot on the staff (and management). But also on who their clientele are.

Look at schools, some are wonderful and some are grim and awful. The head sets the tone which influences the staff. But if the kids and parents are horrible, this wears the staff down so they don't want to try as hard.

If your local GP is full of troublesome patients (by whatever metric) the receptionist probably has no choice but to become a gatekeeper who assumes the worst, the doctor is weary of time-wasters, etc.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X