• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retrospect with client manager?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Don't forget to empty the stationary cupboard as well
    And the mobile one.

Comment

Don't give a tulipe when I leave to be honest. If I get extended I must be doing something right other than that not bothered.

Then again, if you don't get extended there may be other reasons anyway so its pointless reading anything into it. Mind you if someone doesn't extend me they can feck off anyway.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
        Sounds like a permie mindset to me. If they think you did a good job, they extend you. If they think you're tulip, they usually bin you. What more do you need to know?

360 feedback is for permies.
        Check a Trade - lets you see how freelancers are rated.

LinkedIn works the same for IT professionals and this could lead to LinkedIn boost or at least shows that, despite a crap time this time round, you'd be happy to come and work for them/relieve them of a suitable dayrate again in the future.

If depends very much of course on whether or not you'd want to go back to that client and/or client manager again.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by 7specialgems View Post
          Always frame it as constructive criticism.

IMO that's a consultant's mindset.
          IMO, clients don't care for any criticism, constructive or otherwise, however well meant. Just tell them how great they are.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
            Sounds like a permie mindset to me. If they think you did a good job, they extend you. If they think you're tulip, they usually bin you. What more do you need to know?

360 feedback is for permies.
            Sometimes even as a contractor I will want to know if there are any areas I need to improve upon and will ask informally if the situation is appropriate.

Contractor or permie we are not all perfect (except for the handful of posters on here who think they are ) so don't see it as being an issue.

Comment

One of the main reasons I started contracting is to stop having monthly meetings where I had to justify my existence. If you are at the stage of your career where you can contract you shouldn't need to be told when something has gone well or badly.

That said I have taken full part in review meetings when asked.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                One of the main reasons I started contracting is to stop having monthly meetings where I had to justify my existence. If you are at the stage of your career where you can contract you shouldn't need to be told when something has gone well or badly.

That said I have taken full part in review meetings when asked.
                Exactly. Been in the industry so long I just really don't care if one client manager doesn't like me (It happens). No bother I'll go and work elsewhere.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I disagree most of the answers. I think that asking for a retrospect denotes your professionalism. I see several advantages in this:
                  * They'll know you care about them and your job
                  * Any criticism they have about you will be mitigated by your openness to listening to their point of view
                  * You will hopefully learn something about what you do wrong (no one is perfect, right?)
                  * ...or about wrong expectations your clients may have, and you should avoid

Everyone is a permie, unless they are going to retire - you move, but your job continues.
                  And despite what Mr Raab used to think until some weeks ago, we live on an island: not a tiny one, but there are still chances to meet again in a future.
                  Federico Razzoli
                  Database Consultant

Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Federico Razzoli View Post
                    Everyone is a permie, unless they are going to retire .
                    I wish you'd put this first so I could have stopped reading at this point.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think you may even block me, if you wish so. But you'll work again with people you already met, even if it didn't happen until now. It happens to us all. Having a good reputation helps, having a bad one is an obstacle that you may even not know about.
                      Federico Razzoli
                      Database Consultant

Email: [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                      X