• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working away from home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working away from home

All my gigs so far have been commutable from home, usually 5-10 mins and occasionally a short drive 20-30mins.

Am considering taking a 6 month contract further afield, because it's a great opportunity to improve my skills and a decent rate. 2 days WFH. Commute is around 2.5 hours.

I'm guessing drive/train up there very early on tuesday morning, work until thurs, and then get the train/drive home thursday night. 6 months is a big commitment to try this kind of lifestyle.

Any advice on doing this for the first time? Is that kind of routine good or would driving up Monday night be better? Perhaps I can negotiate something?

Completely depends on your family life to be honest.

Comment

I never travel same day. My weekly commute is 166 miles each way so I go Sunday nights/Friday afternoon return.

Comment

I only ever travel same day. I will never take a contract that requires me to be away from home or greater than 60mins commute.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
          All my gigs so far have been commutable from home, usually 5-10 mins and occasionally a short drive 20-30mins.

Am considering taking a 6 month contract further afield, because it's a great opportunity to improve my skills and a decent rate. 2 days WFH. Commute is around 2.5 hours.

I'm guessing drive/train up there very early on tuesday morning, work until thurs, and then get the train/drive home thursday night. 6 months is a big commitment to try this kind of lifestyle.

Any advice on doing this for the first time? Is that kind of routine good or would driving up Monday night be better? Perhaps I can negotiate something?
          Depends on family situation. 2 days WFH is good especially if you're only away two nights. 5 days mon-fri away is not so good.

Is it 2.5 hours on train? I'd do that given the choice. If its early you can kip on train rather than drive for 2.5 hours. Although cost of train may be an issues (especially if its london where the train price can be a pisstake).
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

It's really down to you and your family.

For gigs like this I typically travel same day. I'd rather do that than have an extra night away.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post

Try and arrange client site days:

Day 1 travel up and work 1000 to 1830
              Day 2 work 0830 to 1800
              Day 3 work 0800 to 1600 and travel back.

Or something like that.

Comment

I always preferred to travel Monday morning, come back Friday afternoon. That way I got a full weekend at home. I'd get up at 4am Monday, shower, dress and be on the road at about 4:15. Get to client site about 7:30 and have breakfast.

Nowadays, I only go to client site twice a week and it's only an hour's commute by public transport.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I’d go the night before.
                  Done it plenty of times - driving, flying etc. I also try to include the concept that if I’m working away all week, that on a Friday I leave the office so that I’m home by 6pm.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I used to do a 162 mile round trip 5 days a week and work no less than 7 hour days. Perfectly doable travelling on the day. Even when I worked away, I used to travel Monday morning and travel back on the Friday.

Comment

Working...
                    X