• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client ended retainer mid-month

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client ended retainer mid-month

Hi there, I'm not sure if I've posted in the right part as I'm new to this forum. Hope so!
    I'm hoping that someone can advise on my problem with a client...

A client with whom I’ve been working on a retainer basis (four days each month), emailed me last week to say they no longer needed me and could I invoice them to date. This would’ve been the third week of their month.
    I don’t always complete the four days each month as I react to the work load but have been responsive to their needs within half an hour of requests/at weekends/evenings etc.
    My original statement of work with them states it as a retainer of four days per month. I’ve emailed them for a final month and they have requested a breakdown of hours spent this month (they don’t normally do this).
    I have explained that as it’s a retainer basis, I have been unable to allocate the time to any other clients for this month so will have to charge accordingly (they have given me no notice at all).
    They have said they want to continue working with me in the future but needs to justify the time spent. What should I do?? Not only has this retainer come to an end but they clearly don’t want to pay me the full month. I’m new to all of this and not sure what steps to take.

Thanks in advance for your help

Refer them to the SOW and threaten llegal action if they don't pay the full four days, or take the hit on the one day they don't want to pay and move on. For me probably the latter.

Comment

Invoice for three days. Thank them for the work and tell then you look forward to working with them in the future as they have indicated.

Not sure I see what the problem is here.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Invoice for three days. Thank them for the work and tell then you look forward to working with them in the future as they have indicated.

And give them an ad hoc time and materials rate.

Comment

Agree with this, if you want to maintain a future relationship.

However if your client ever wants to take you on on a retainer basis again you need to be clear with them that you are charging a fixed fee per month for up to x days and they can’t then expect you to bill on a time and materials basis instead whenever it suits them. It defeats the purpose of a retainer.

Tell them on this occasion as a show of good will you will only bill them for days worked.

Comment

Perfect advice right here. Surely you can fill in what time you have spent for this client so again no real issue.

Comment

Originally posted by WLB2018 View Post
              Perfect advice right here. Surely you can fill in what time you have spent for this client so again no real issue.
              Not really. The client and freelancer agreed on a 4-day a month retainer which has been in place for some time.

From reading the OP it appears that the client wants to end the formal relationship but would still expect to call on the OP as required.

In other words, they'd like to have their cake and eat it.

Typically that sort of service comes at a price.

Personally I'd not bother getting into a fight over a couple of days work, but at the same time I would not deliver the ad-hoc support/help for the same price in the future.

Comment

Working...
              X