• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Predicament.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predicament.

A very Happy New Year!
    Great site, long time lurker but first post.

I started my first gig in Nov (initial 3 months) which is now due for renewal. The client has indicated that she is happy to extend. However, I was told the role would be Central London based with infrequent travel/visits to other office locations in the UK. It turns out that I am travelling to these other office locations 2-3 times per week. For me, the other office locations are not ideal which consist of a 3.5 hour commute each way (on a good day) when having to visit these other locations. I have politely raised this with the client and agent, but been told that this is the requirement as my stakeholders are spread across sites.

Thus, I don't wish to accept the extension and would like to move on. However, my last role was a FTC and that ended in Aug, I decided to take some extended time off as we had just moved house, and we wanted to do the new house up and be there for the renovations plus a bit of travelling.

Questions:
    1: I am worried about a potential reference from the current agent, thus, should I not list this role on my CV and extend my bench time? Maybe I am overreacting in this regard.

2: Would listing the gig impact me in terms of it being a short contract?

3: They are currently advertising for the same role as we require two more contractors due to the amount of work there is, thus, if I go with option 2, would other agents will see this and think I was terminated and thus, won't want potentially put me forward for other roles?

I haven't started looking for another contract as out yet because I am unsure on the best approach. I don't want to impact my CV which is currently good without any gaps other than the FTC>Contract.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    M.

Originally posted by Maka344 View Post
    1: I am worried about a potential reference from the current agent, thus, should I not list this role on my CV and extend my bench time? Maybe I am overreacting in this regard.
    If you drop gigs off your CV you could get in to trouble if you go through any kind of reference checks for financial and other sensitive clients. Yes you are over reacting. The Agent won't do anything but confirm the start and end dates of the gig. Anything else could leave them open to legal action if what they say isn't true.
    2: Would listing the gig impact me in terms of it being a short contract?
    No. It's what we do. You arrived at your clients, did a piece of work and left.
    If you had 3 or 4 years of 3 monthers it might start to look a bit suss but the odd one here and there isn't an issue.
    3: They are currently advertising for the same role as we require two more contractors due to the amount of work there is, thus, if I go with option 2, would other agents will see this and think I was terminated and thus, won't want potentially put me forward for other roles?
    Nope. Even if they had done that much research, which I very much doubt, they will only be focussing on their bottom line and if you are the one that can make them money. They won't be playing guessing games and 'what if' scenarios. If you are the best suited person for the gig they have open then you'll have their full attention.
    I haven't started looking for another contract as out yet because I am unsure on the best approach. I don't want to impact my CV which is currently good without any gaps other than the FTC>Contract.
    Just fill in what you did without lying or being a bit over liberal with the truth and get applying.

Just being a pedant, the person at your client is not your boss. Permies have bosses. You need to understand the relationship between you, the agent and the client and use the correct terminology. As I say I might be sounding a bit petty but if you get in to a habit of using the right terminology it could make things clearer in the future should issues occur and make you sound a bit more of a professional contractor. If you haven't already then do a lot of reading up on IR35 and it should be come clear why this distinction is very important.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 2 January 2019, 13:53.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      If you drop gigs off your CV you could get in to trouble if you go through any kind of reference checks for financial and other sensitive clients. Yes you are over reacting. The Agent won't do anything but confirm the start and end dates of the gig. Anything else could leave them open to legal action if what they say isn't true.

No. It's what we do. You arrived at your clients, did a piece of work and left.
      If you had 3 or 4 years of 3 monthers it might start to look a bit suss but the odd one here and there isn't an issue.

Nope. Even if they had done that much research, which I very much doubt, they will only be focussing on their bottom line and if you are the one that can make them money. They won't be playing guessing games and 'what if' scenarios. If you are the best suited person for the gig they have open then you'll have their full attention.

Just fill in what you did without lying or being a bit over liberal with the truth and get applying.

Just being a pedant, the person at your client is not your boss. Permies have bosses. You need to understand the relationship between you, the agent and the client and use the correct terminology. As I say I might be sounding a bit petty but if you get in to a habit of using the right terminology it could make things clearer in the future should issues occur and make you sound a bit more of a professional contractor. If you haven't already then do a lot of reading up on IR35 and it should be come clear why this distinction is very important.
      Great, thanks Northernladuk.

I will go ahead and update my CV and start looking.

I appreciate your advice and the boss vs client thing is down to being new to the world of contracting. I did go and edit my post and I do view the client as that, my client.

Comment

WNLUK said more or less.

Discuss it with the client and see if you can reach a solution that suits you both, examples:

- It's 2019, a lot of work can be done with teleconferencing - check if that's an option for some of the 2-3 dyas/week off-site, if that is the deal breaker and you otherwise like the gig.

- Make them aware that the extra travel is the deal breaker and you are looking for a new role after your current contract expires. Then check if they will be happy to lower the notice to 1-2 weeks for a potential extension if you can't find something else meanwhile.

For example the work have dried up on my current gig (one of the two projects I was working on got canned) and i have agreed with the ClientCo to stay on board for 3 days/week to match the amount of work and reduce the notice to 0 days if i find something else meanwhile.

Comment

Why not say to client, look I'd like to stay but this travel to remote sites all the time is not working for me? See what they say at least.

If you HAVE to do it then politely decline - at least they'll know why.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Why not say to client, look I'd like to stay but this travel to remote sites all the time is not working for me? See what they say at least.

If you HAVE to do it then politely decline - at least they'll know why.
            No kidding. They are looking for two more which means they would probably like to keep you (otherwise they are looking for three -- I'm good at maths). They've got one of the three they need and he's good enough they'd like to keep him.

So if they want to keep you and need help, leverage that. Question #1: how much money would it take to convince you to stay the way things are? Question #2: if the money didn't change, how much travel would you accept? 1 day away? 1.5 on average? 2 max? Question #3: if the money changed some and the travel changed some, would it be enough? What's your parameters?

Maybe one of the new guys can take on a little more of the travel and let you out of some of it.

Comment

It turns out that I am travelling to these other office locations 2-3 times per week. For me, the other office locations are not ideal which consist of a 3.5 hour commute each way (on a good day) when having to visit these other locations. I have politely raised this with the client and agent, but been told that this is the requirement as my stakeholders are spread across sites.

Thus, I don't wish to accept the extension and would like to move on.
              What you could do is explain that you want:
              * a rate increase
              * expenses paid (If it was 3.5 hour commute I'd stay in a hotel)
              * driving time (the 3.5 hours) being part of the working day so you're paid to drive
              * any combination of the above
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

In addition to the travel, I am not happy with the work. It’s a bit of a car crash and there’s no real support from management. I have decided to move on.

What’s the best approach, call the agent or speak to the clientco first? My contract end date is 4 weeks today and my contract states:

“This Contract will automatically end on the End Date without the need for notice unless terminated beforehand by either party providing 4 weeks written notice, or in accordance with Clause 7 of the Contract.”

M

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

In addition to the travel, I am not happy with the work. It’s a bit of a car crash and there’s no real support from management. I have decided to move on.

What’s the best approach, call the agent or speak to the clientco first? My contract end date is 4 weeks today and my contract states:

“This Contract will automatically end on the End Date without the need for notice unless terminated beforehand by either party providing 4 weeks written notice, or in accordance with Clause 7 of the Contract.”

M
                  Your contract is with the agent, not the client. You don't talk to your client about contractual arrangements. You really should know this. You can advise the client of your intentions through professional courtesy but it is your agent that needs to know first.

If the contract ends in 4 weeks and you intend to work to the end of it you don't need to be looking at the termination clause. You just inform your agent as soon as you can that you will be working until the end of the gig and have no intention to renew. It gives them and the client time to sort a replacement. You would be within your contractual rights to work up to the last day and just disappear but that's not very professional.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Your contract is with the agent, not the client. You don't talk to your client about contractual arrangements. You really should know this. You can advise the client of your intentions through professional courtesy but it is your agent that needs to know first.

If the contract ends in 4 weeks and you intend to work to the end of it you don't need to be looking at the termination clause. You just inform your agent as soon as you can that you will be working until the end of the gig and have no intention to renew. It gives them and the client time to sort a replacement. You would be within your contractual rights to work up to the last day and just disappear but that's not very professional.
                    I do know this, I wish to remain professional hence the question on who to approach first thus, I’ll give the agent a call today and mention it to the clientco at a catch up I have today out of courtesy.

Thanks,
                    M.

Comment

Working...
                    X