• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sourcing talent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    If you don't understand that then you'll never do it. If you do understand that then you'd not be here asking..
    That's the first rule of thumb I think of when ideas like this and many other similar ones are floated.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Sounds more like you want to just shave a bit of their rate to line your pocket which isn't exactly expanding your business. If that is the case you are better off just putting people forward to the agency and negotiating a head hunters fee.
      Not exactly that, I'm trying to ascertain the mechanics behind starting one's own consultancy.
      That's why I asked for guidelines, because I've seen a few companies who are either on the "associate model", or consultancies. Either taking on bigger projects or merely "renting out" people.

Comment

Originally posted by Skag View Post
        Not exactly that, I'm trying to ascertain the mechanics behind starting one's own consultancy.
        That's why I asked for guidelines, because I've seen a few companies who are either on the "associate model", or consultancies. Either taking on bigger projects or merely "renting out" people.
        You have to look for an offering that provides a benefit to clients then. Not just the one you are with. I've seen so many one trick ponies start up and then go under because they never expanded past their one client.

You need a business offering before thinking how you can resource it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You need a business offering before thinking how you can resource it.
          and even when you have that it's a hard sell.

Let's say you get some £500 a day contractors in. Some will be crap so have to be let go, and you need to make money, so you need to charge at least £650 a day. That's quite a high margin with significant risk if it goes pear-shaped (which it might if you don't know the people).
          You'll need PMs you trust (they are few and far between).
          And you'll be under constant pressure around the rates so plan on not doing any delivery yourself.
          The client has to accept quite a lot of risk for a new consultancy. Bear in mind that the larger SIs would likely charge £800 a day for the same staff, but with reduced (perceived) risk to the client.

It's not really that competitive unless you have many people on-site, and finding those people is hard (if it was easy there'd not be a contracting market).

And there are a gazillion other small 'consultancies' with more experience fighting for same market, with the same access to people (maybe better).
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
          X