• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Market and rates for remote contracts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market and rates for remote contracts?

I am thinking of looking at remote positions instead of waiting for a local one.

I expect a lower rate - How much should I go down, and how is the competition compared to on-site contracts?

I can be on site quite often, so I should have some advantage compared to East Europeans.

Originally posted by CppAnddotNET View Post
    I am thinking of looking at remote positions instead of waiting for a local one.

I expect a lower rate - How much should I go down, and how is the competition compared to on-site contracts?

I can be on site quite often, so I should have some advantage compared to East Europeans.
    That is my question as well. In my opinion, the rate is less concern for remote contract, the main thing whether client is happy to agree. I will leave UK if I find a client who agrees of 1/3 period of contract onsite and rest of the period remote. If client agrees then agreeing on rate less concern for me.

Comment

If you're struggling to find a local contract, you need to look further afield.

Working from home is becoming more common, but it's not a given. It's one of the things about contracting, if you're really wanting to contract, you need to be prepared to travel.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Why would you expect a lower rate for WFH. If the job can be done equally well away from the office than in it then surely its worth the same rate.

I think you are looking at it as a benefit like permies do when their employer allows WFH but that's not how contracting works. The client wants something delivering and in a manner they want. Asking them for a favour or less money to WFH won't make a difference if they intend the role to be based in their office. If the requirements include WFH they will either state that or make it clear early on.

That said WFH most of the time is not that common and more often than not becomes an option if you've already worked for them.

You are seriously narrowing down your prospects if you'll only take WFH gigs for clients a long way from you.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There would be more competition, so the rate can be lower.
          The rates I have seen seems low, but it can be the agency.

Comment

Originally posted by CppAnddotNET View Post
            There would be more competition, so the rate can be lower.
            The rates I have seen seems low, but it can be the agency.
            I think you've started off with a false assumption.

Are you prepared to travel for a contract? i.e. work away from home, perhaps even abroad, for 5 days a week?
            Plenty of contractors are. It's part of the nature of contracting for many.

Some contractors work from home because they manage multiple clients at once, the clients are aware of it, and each is billed accordingly. Others work from home because they only want to work a couple of days a week. Others work from home because when we negotiate contracts we discuss it as an option.

Over the last 10 years, most of my clients have been happy with some level of WFH. I've not dropped my rate, I've not met more competition. But the same clients also expect that I will travel to site, anywhere in the world, and may be away from home for a couple of weeks at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Why would you expect a lower rate for WFH. If the job can be done equally well away from the office than in it then surely its worth the same rate.
              For 2 reasons:
              1) employers are usually close-minded and do not think that the job can be done equally well. When I work from home I'm equally or more productive than when I'm in the office...nevertheless, employers (and hr people especially) don't get it and are not willing to pay the same rate as someone who is in the office all day everyday.
              2) by working from home you save on transport costs, coffee/food, and also have a better life (sleep more...less time wasted on public transport or car...all these things). So, given point 1, you can be willing to accept a lower rate

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
                For 2 reasons:
                1) employers are usually close-minded and do not think that the job can be done equally well. When I work from home I'm equally or more productive than when I'm in the office...nevertheless, employers (and hr people especially) don't get it and are not willing to pay the same rate as someone who is in the office all day everyday.
                2) by working from home you save on transport costs, coffee/food, and also have a better life (sleep more...less time wasted on public transport or car...all these things). So, given point 1, you can be willing to accept a lower rate
                But you aren't being employed.

That's all just permie thinking.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

That's all just permie thinking.
                  elaborate, please. what is?

Comment

For 2 reasons:
                    I don't care about employers, I care about my customers. HR people don't sign my timesheet, it's the project manager, or similar.

The customer doesn't care about your home life or your transport costs. That's up to you to manage.

These are why NLUK says it's permie talk.

Comment

Working...
                    X