• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A good time to start contracting or stay perm?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good time to start contracting or stay perm?

This might sound very crazy but i am thinking of leaving my permanent role and go back into contracting (SQL Server development)

With the political uncertainty, is this a good move to make with Brexit (no deal) on the horizon

I havent been following the contract market movements recently

Depends.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Weegee View Post

Perhaps you should consider it.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

This might sound very crazy but i am thinking of leaving my permanent role and go back into contracting (SQL Server development)

With the political uncertainty, is this a good move to make with Brexit (no deal) on the horizon

Then Id say you need to start following the contract markey movements a lot closer. Some people will tell you now is as good a time as any and others will tell you it isnt.

Do you know what day rate you think you want compared to what is, generally, payable? Are you prepared to work away and how far etc?

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
          Then Id say you need to start following the contract markey movements a lot closer. Some people will tell you now is as good a time as any and others will tell you it isnt.

Do you know what day rate you think you want compared to what is, generally, payable? Are you prepared to work away and how far etc?
          Why do all that when you can ask a one liner question to a bunch of strangers on the internet who will give you the answer regardless of a complete lack of detail on his/her personal situation?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Check the market, are there contract roles you can do? If so then why not, if the market is flat and nothing that takes your fancy, hang fire.

I've just signed a 6 month gig so hoping that takes me over the "bump"

WLB

Comment

You explicitly mention Brexit - why? Are you a EU citizen concerned about your ability to remain in the UK? Or are you worried about the effects that Brexit is having on the UK economy (companies relocating to Europe, etc)?

Maybe if you elaborate a bit about your concerns, it will be easier to give you our opinions.
              Federico Razzoli
              Database Consultant

Email: [email protected]

Comment

I would wait and see. The market doesn't look too bad, but if the UK crashes out things could get messy.

I would advise waiting until it's clear what will happen. If there is a "no deal" you want to see whether the horsemen of the apocalypse come riding over the horizon.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Get yourself on Jobserve, search for jobs you'd be interested in and see how many there are and the rates. How does the market look for you?

Personally, in the arena I'm in, the market looks good and it could be bonus time due to brexit. But that's just the area of work I'm in, may be different for you.

This could be the next Y2K for some
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Ask yourself this:

Do I have the stomach for it? Do I have enough cash in the bank to survive? Do I have the mental strength?

If you answer yes to all three, fill your boots.

But remember, contracting has ups and downs. The ups are the easy bit.

GF

Comment

Working...
                    X