• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is anyone else on the bench now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    And you moan when we keep bringing the JSA rubbish up. Pillock.
    So PC's wind up worked then. How much are you going to sponsor him?

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
      I'm on the bench as of this month. Network Architecture. Lots of work around if I want an engineer role on decent rates but I'm holding out for a bit.
      you might find a lot of those engineer roles could well become architect roles but they want someone who can do it rather than a bulltulipter with a TOGAF badge.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        you might find a lot of those engineer roles could well become architect roles but they want someone who can do it rather than a bulltulipter with a TOGAF badge.
        Interesting, I didn't know that so I'll have been declining a hell of a lot of suitable work for fear of diluting my CV. Thanks for telling me! Any particularly strong indicators I could look for pre-interview, to save wasting hiring manager's time?

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
          Interesting, I didn't know that so I'll have been declining a hell of a lot of suitable work for fear of diluting my CV. Thanks for telling me! Any particularly strong indicators I could look for pre-interview, to save wasting hiring manager's time?
          The rate is an indicator they want quality.
          I've taken quite a few server engineer roles and ended up doing end to end delivery (requirements, architecture, design, delivery and migration). Clients don't always expect to get that but are pleased when they do.
          It often exposes weakness in their internal teams. I was responsible for a permie architect getting fired as it took me less than 6 months to end-to-end deliver a project he failed to architect in 9 months.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I've taken quite a few server engineer roles and ended up doing end to end delivery (requirements, architecture, design, delivery and migration). Clients don't always expect to get that but are pleased when they do.
            It often exposes weakness in their internal teams. I was responsible for a permie architect getting fired as it took me less than 6 months to end-to-end deliver a project he failed to architect in 9 months.
            It happened with me few times too, my performance on ground was reason for other less performing contractors had been fired and even their manager was also fired and I ended up building a new team from scratch. The guys whom I recruited are still there and they rock !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lilibet View Post
              I'm in digital, creative services. London based.

Re JSA - my understanding is that if I'm LTD and have savings of over £16k I am not eligible?
              Not 100% sure of the rules having not claimed for about 4 years or so.....

BUT, limited never used to matter. Savings might be an issue though thinking about it.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Same in my field (also technical/engineering). Decent rate, normally an interview conversation around my seniority and experience and the next thing I know I'm running the project.

So far I've had at least 2x contracts where I've displaced other people...

I was responsible for a permie architect getting fired as it took me less than 6 months to end-to-end deliver a project he failed to architect in 9 months.
                Haha, almost identical for me. Plus doing a bunch of things he'd concluded were "impossible"

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Not 100% sure of the rules having not claimed for about 4 years or so.....

BUT, limited never used to matter. Savings might be an issue though thinking about it.
                  it's not like anything has changed in the benefit system in the last 4 years is it????

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    Same in my field (also technical/engineering). Decent rate, normally an interview conversation around my seniority and experience and the next thing I know I'm running the project.

So far I've had at least 2x contracts where I've displaced other people...
                    Now I've met you, if you came over and told to me piss off, you're taking my role.. I'd go
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Now I've met you, if you came over and told to me piss off, you're taking my role.. I'd go
                      Well, you're safe in the security that you can always increase your day rate by getting some JSA

Comment

Working...
                      X