• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is anyone else on the bench now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lilibet View Post
    I'm in digital, creative services. London based.

Re JSA - my understanding is that if I'm LTD and have savings of over £16k I am not eligible?
    Its under £6K nowadays. If you have a mortgage they expect you to downsize BEFORE claiming as well. If you own a car, boat, or holiday home you have to sell it. They will only give you the £317.87 per month minimum if you can demonstrate you have total assets below £6K & they also want to see all your bank, credit card, mortgage & savings statements for at least the last 6 months. Its also a criminal offence to disguise your financial situation by moving money between accounts, or transferring to relatives so for most people its not worth the potential prison time to hide this info but you would be amazed how many people do then feign ignorance! (which is not a defence!!).

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
      Its under £6K nowadays. If you have a mortgage they expect you to downsize BEFORE claiming as well. If you own a car, boat, or holiday home you have to sell it. They will only give you the £317.87 per month minimum if you can demonstrate you have total assets below £6K & they also want to see all your bank, credit card, mortgage & savings statements for at least the last 6 months. Its also a criminal offence to disguise your financial situation by moving money between accounts, or transferring to relatives so for most people its not worth the potential prison time to hide this info but you would be amazed how many people do then feign ignorance! (which is not a defence!!).
      Do they still do contribution based and income based JSA? i.e. contribution one you can get even if you're partner is working.

It used to be 16K Im sure. I remember at the time I had about £16k so was ok. Are you sure they make you sell things? When I did it the rule was basically, 6 months leave you alone to get the job you want, after that they expect you to accept any job.

Does bring up the argument that you can sit on your arse, blow the lot and save nothing but work all you're life lose you're job, and get sod all.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Does bring up the argument that you can sit on your arse, blow the lot and save nothing but work all you're life lose you're job, and get sod all.
        Or even worse, be in the top 5% income bracket in the country and still scrounge off the system in between gigs.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Do they still do contribution based and income based JSA? i.e. contribution one you can get even if you're partner is working.

It used to be 16K Im sure. I remember at the time I had about £16k so was ok. Are you sure they make you sell things? When I did it the rule was basically, 6 months leave you alone to get the job you want, after that they expect you to accept any job.

Nope its £6K max combined! Now its way tighter to even get crumbs due to all the imported citizens milking the system dry as a bone! They tell you to sell homes, cars & any other assets of value BEFORE your claim will be accepted. You do not have to sell anything but they will not give you anything if you are a mortgage holder they expect you to downsize & sell it then live on the capital until you find another job. Its quite literally now a last resort system to help genuine people get the minimum to live on but it fails miserably as its very poorly implemented & punishes those in true need but rewards workers who are here from other lands doing zero hour contracts as it tops their salaries up to £750 per week if they have 2 kids & are married with a spouse!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Or even worse, be in the top 5% income bracket in the country and still scrounge off the system in between gigs.
            Agree, i came from foreign land and did extremely successful innings in freelancing for past ten years, have not ever thought that can look for any kind of benefits, eventually returning back to foreign land as well as my 'foreign land' is leaping ahead far and far.
            Last edited by administrator; 28 January 2019, 16:32. Reason: winker

Comment

Originally posted by molsang View Post
              Agree, i came from foreign land and did extremely successful innings in freelancing for past ten years, have not ever thought that can look for any kind of benefits, eventually returning back to foreign land as well as my 'foreign land' is leaping ahead far and far
              No winking in prof forums please. You'll be heading for the land of ban if you do.

Comment

Hard times can come to us all NLUK. Got florida holidays to pay for after all...

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                  Nope its £6K max combined! Now its way tighter to even get crumbs due to all the imported citizens milking the system dry as a bone! They tell you to sell homes, cars & any other assets of value BEFORE your claim will be accepted. You do not have to sell anything but they will not give you anything if you are a mortgage holder they expect you to downsize & sell it then live on the capital until you find another job. Its quite literally now a last resort system to help genuine people get the minimum to live on but it fails miserably as its very poorly implemented & punishes those in true need but rewards workers who are here from other lands doing zero hour contracts as it tops their salaries up to £750 per week if they have 2 kids & are married with a spouse!!
                  OK. You got me. Its not changed like that at all has it?
                  Last edited by psychocandy; 28 January 2019, 14:18.

Comment

Hard times can come to us all NLUK. Got florida holidays to pay for after all...
                    Funny that Florida appears to be the holiday of choice for benefits cheats

GBP35,000 Telford benefits cheat avoids going to prison | Shropshire Star

Snapped: the man who wrestles alligators but is 'too disabled' to get a job - Telegraph

Comment

Feck Im busted!!!

To be fair NLUK, whereas my benefit claiming activities a few years ago could be considered a little borderline unethical it was all perfectly 100% above board and legal.

Comment

Working...
                      X