• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for experienced advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for experienced advice

The place I work has not communicated when my contract ends. This is being held at the highest level for sign off.

Contract ends at the end of this month. Apparently it's not just me

Guys, I'm job hunting but has this happened to anyone else.

Originally posted by BrandNewOne View Post
    The place I work has not communicated when my contract ends. This is being held at the highest level for sign off.

Contract ends at the end of this month. Apparently it's not just me

Guys, I'm job hunting but has this happened to anyone else.
    Your contract ends at the end of this month. You may get offered an extension but look for new contracts as if you will not be. This is very common.

Comment

Doesn't it end at the end of the month as per your next sentence?

Contract ends at the end of this month.
      Care to rephrase so your post actually makes sense?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Echoing the previous replies this is reasonably frequent event, depending on the client. Seems fairly cut and dried: your contract ends at the end of this month. You might get an extension, you might not.
        Always assume and plan (both personally and professionally in terms of deliverables) for the latter.

I too am a little flummoxed at what advice it is you're seeking.

Comment

Originally posted by Guesstimator View Post
          Echoing the previous replies this is reasonably frequent event, depending on the client. Seems fairly cut and dried: your contract ends at the end of this month. You might get an extension, you might not.
          Always assume and plan (both personally and professionally in terms of deliverables) for the latter.

I too am a little flummoxed at what advice it is you're seeking.
          If the OP is new to contracting, it's reasonable to gauge their experience against that of more experienced contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            If the OP is new to contracting, it's reasonable to gauge their experience against that of more experienced contractors.
            Fair comment, and i appreciate the OP is likely stressed but without knowing the relationship they have with their client it's tricky to give advice that might not end up being counter-productive.

1) I get the impression that you've been lead to believe the contract will extend BUT your contract end date is your contract end date and treat it as such until you get a contract update in your hand.
            2) Work toward this end date personally and professionally.
            3) Tell your local client contact that you'll make sure the work is complete for handover/acceptance/whatever criteria in the nicest/most appropriate way you can and that you'll be happy to return if/when a new contract is in place.
            4) Let whoever is managing the contract on your behalf (agency or if direct, your local interface) know that that is what you are doing.
            5) If the client/agency maintain their hands are tied and its with upper management simply reiterate your position; that beyond the end of contract, you won't be in a position to continuing the work until a new/revised contract is in place.
            6) Keep looking for a new role, and in the same circumstance in future start looking earlier...if nothing else, you land something, it's good leverage to have in negotiations.
            Last edited by Guesstimator; 25 January 2019, 13:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Guesstimator View Post
              Fair comment, and i appreciate the OP is likely stressed but without knowing the relationship they have with their client it's tricky to give advice that might not end up being counter-productive.

1) I get the impression that you've been lead to believe the contract will extend BUT your contract end date is your contract end date and treat it as such until you get a contract update in your hand.
              2) Work toward this end date personally and professionally.
              3) Tell your local client contact that you'll make sure the work is complete for handover/acceptance/whatever criteria in the nicest/most appropriate way you can and that you'll be happy to return if/when a new contract is in place.
              4) Let whoever is managing the contract on your behalf (agency or if direct, your local interface) know that that is what you are doing.
              5) If the client/agency maintain their hands are tied and its with upper management simply reiterate your position; that beyond the end of contract, you won't be in a position to continuing the work until a new/revised contract is in place.
              6) Keep looking for a new role, and in the same circumstance in future start looking earlier...if nothing else, you land something, it's good leverage to have in negotiations.
              Thanks for taking time to respond to me. You have given me much to think about

Comment

what Guesstimator said.

My typical end of contract time line is:

1) 20 working days to go. Speak to client contact and remind them there is twenty days to go and I am enjoying the work and are you likely to extend.

2) On basis of that conversation speak to Agent if I'm not direct.

3) If no contract when 10 days out, prompt manager again and dust down CV.

4) S5 days out. Start handover and applying for roles.

When renewals have been offered step one is normally enough. Only once did I get to step 4, however that was a direct contract and the guy who needed to sign off the paperwork was abroad for Christmas.
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Thanks for taking time to respond to me. You have given me much to think about
                  You're welcome, and sorry for my first post.

I'd be lying if I said I've followed the advice I gave you to a tee.

In a similar situation to you I've worked beyond contract end date on a promise that it'll be sorted out "asap" (and it was, with no changes to contract or conditions except extension date) but I totally trusted the client.... however...knowing what I know now and the small chance it could blow up and leave me exposed I would think twice and, I dunno, probably plan a holiday instead to give them time to get it sorted out.

Really does depend on the kind of relationship you have with your local guy and the expectations around the work you're doing.

Best of luck, it'll likely blow over this week.

Comment

My mantra is a bird in the hand...

You should think of contracts a binary: signed or not signed. There is no 'Highly likely', 'Absolutely definitely', or 'Getting it signed off is just a formality'.

Having said that I'm planning on going against my own advice soon so don't pay any attention to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X