• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working hours per week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go straight to limited.
    If billing is at day-rate, you deliver a professional working day. What's that? Something that reflects that you're doing the job (I tend to put 8-9 hours in for the first couple of weeks to get up to speed then back to 7.5-8 hours thereafter, upping it to 10 hours for a key week a month before renewals).
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. I understand there are different opinions on what's a reasonable PWD, but it's reassuring to see that my concerns were not unreasonable.
      It does take a while to take the permie-shaded glasses off

Regarding the Umbrella/LTD bit, I've got a month to setup the LTD, which should be enough, so no payments should go via the umbrella.

The agent has agreed to put 5 PWD per week in the schedule which I'm quite happy with.
      I don't mind doing longer hours and weekends, but I didn't fell comfortable signing something that allows the client to dictate how many hours per day/week I do, for a flat rate.

Comment

Working hours per week

Originally posted by NardDog View Post
        Regarding the Umbrella/LTD bit, I've got a month to setup the LTD, which should be enough, so no payments should go via the umbrella.
        Trying to understand this bit.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. I understand there are different opinions on what's a reasonable PWD, but it's reassuring to see that my concerns were not unreasonable.
          It does take a while to take the permie-shaded glasses off

The agent has agreed to put 5 PWD per week in the schedule which I'm quite happy with.
          I don't mind doing longer hours and weekends, but I didn't fell comfortable signing something that allows the client to dictate how many hours per day/week I do, for a flat rate.
          Not without being paid day rate plus for them!
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I think you'll do fine, nicely done and good luck

Comment

WHAT?????

Don't do this... You'll get your arse sued to the Job Centre and back.
              If you work under an umbrella the umbrella will get paid. If you find a way to circumvent that and divert the money to your LTD. you're in a whole heap of trouble.
              Likely the agent will drop you like a sack of tulip at the first sniff.

Never mind it taking a while to 'take the permie-shaded glasses off'. You need to start understanding who works for who, who has what contractual relationships and who owes how much, and to whom.

EDIT: Daft question time: Has the agency told you this is all OK and they've recommended an umbrella???
              Last edited by Lance; 7 February 2019, 11:25.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Sorry, I've probably haven't written the best explanation.

Basically I'll be using the agency's umbrella initially, so that I can sign the contract and get the ball rolling.
                As soon as I've setup the ltd the agency will cancel the umbrella contract and a new one will be signed with my ltd. So it's just a temporary solution.

What I meant by " nopayments should go via the umbrella." is that I should have enough time, before the contract starts, to cancel the umbrella contract and sign one via the ltd.

Comment

Sorry, I've probably haven't written the best explanation.

Basically I'll be using the agency's umbrella initially, so that I can sign the contract and get the ball rolling.
                  As soon as I've setup the ltd the agency will cancel the umbrella contract and a new one will be signed with my ltd. So it's just a temporary solution.

What I meant by " nopayments should go via the umbrella." is that I should have enough time, before the contract starts, to cancel the umbrella contract and sign one via the ltd.
                  It takes less than a day to setup a LTD. Stop arseing around on here and go do it.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

As soon as I've setup the ltd the agency will cancel the umbrella contract and a new one will be signed with my ltd.
                    As Lance has said, just go straight to Ltd.

Why on earth are you being told to go with the idea of starting with an Umbrella? There is really no need.

You say it is the agency's umbrella. The cynic in me say that this is being suggested by them for a few months' earnings...?? Will you then be charged for the re-writing of a contract?
                    Last edited by simes; 7 February 2019, 18:25.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                      Will you then be charged for the re-writing of a contract?
                      or a reduced rate to 'keep it equal'.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X