• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working hours per week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working hours per week

So I've decided to make a jump from permanent to contracting, so I'm full of stupid questions and confusion.
    I've been reading the forums for a while and it's been quite helpful.

I'm being offered a 12 month contract with a vendor (through an agency) and I'll be placed at one of their clients site for the duration of the project.
    The contract is on a daily rate. I'll setup a LTD company but for the first couple of weeks, or a month, I'll be under an umbrella company.

I have received the contract and the statement of work. The agent has told me that they are pretty much identical to the ones I'll receive when the contact transfers to my LTD.
    While I'm not 100% regarding the contract, I expect the statement of work to be the same.

Neither of the documents describes the working hours per week, or the length of the working week.
    Is that normal?

The statement says the the hours of work will be advised by the client. - Should I consider this be a PWD? Am I agreeing that the client can potentially ask me to work 10h per day, every day?
    And the shift pattern will be determined by the line manager. - It's not a support role, so there won't but a shift pattern. But would that mean that weekends can be seen as part of the "shift pattern"?

Should I be asking the agency to define the week as Mon-Fri, or the Hours per Week for the contract?

I wouldn’t worry too much about getting clearly defined hours.
    You’re a day-rate contractor, some days you’ll be flat out for 12-14 hours, others you’ll get everything you need to get done in a chilled out 5-6 hours. Rough with the smooth and all that.

Good luck with the first gig.

Comment

Originally posted by ChangePM View Post
      You’re a day-rate contractor, some days you’ll be flat out for 12-14 hours, others you’ll get everything you need to get done in a chilled out 5-6 hours. Rough with the smooth and all that.

Rather you than me.

Comment

Working hours per week

Why the umbrella company to start with, you can set up a ltd company in 20 mins with bank accounts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Thanks I understand there will be longer and shorter days, but the wording in the contract is what concerns me. The way I read it, the client can pretty much say the expect at least 8 or 9h per day.

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          Why the umbrella company to start with, you can set up a ltd company in 20 mins with bank accounts ?
          I was under the impression it takes a bit longer, especially the bank account. I've still got a months notice with my current employer, so should have the LTD setup before the starting date, and I won't actually use the umbrella.

Comment

Go straight to Ltd.

The company name can be set up toot sweet. And by the time you're ready to invoice, the bank account will have been set up.

Also, and I may need to be clarified on this, if you go Ltd, won't the contract have to be redrawn to swap out Umbrella name for Ltd name? If so, as above, go straight to Ltd.

Comment

12-14 hours nope not me.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NardDog View Post
                Thanks I understand there will be longer and shorter days, but the wording in the contract is what concerns me. The way I read it, the client can pretty much say the expect at least 8 or 9h per day.

I was under the impression it takes a bit longer, especially the bank account. I've still got a months notice with my current employer, so should have the LTD setup before the starting date, and I won't actually use the umbrella.
                Expect what they want and some will try it on. Standard day is 7.5/8 hrs in my book.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  12-14 hours nope not me.
                  I was waiting for you to pop up on this thread.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As already stated I would go straight to LTD, it doesnt take long to sort out.

As for working hours, I for one would ensure this was clarified, coupled with clarification on that you (assuming you would be) working from home.

I would also suggest having the contract checked by QDOS or someone just to make sure the IR35 status is clear.

Congrats on your first gig - now build up that warchest

WLB

Comment

Working...
                    X