• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using a new agency after interviews and securing the contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a new agency after interviews and securing the contract

Hi,

Wanted to know what are the options in a scenario where I have secured a contract with a client via an agency but then the agency and I have a fallout on terms in the contract etc. Can I approach another agency which I know is in the list of vendors for the clients and secure the contract. Or should I just give it up.

You’d need to check what you’ve agreed with the agent already, such as them representing you, etc. Then you might want to discuss it with them.

What terms did you fall out over?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Gosh, this will get messy.

Even if you could resolve it, the original agency will want a finder's fee, at the very least. And then they could still / may make adverse noises about your candidacy.

If the fall out is irreversible, I would, at one and the same time, start applying for new gigs and follow your route of going through a different agency - but I am wondering if this would have to be done with the client's approval.

Is the fall out irreversible?
      Do you have direct contact with the client to progress a second agency?
      How do you know the alternative agencies?

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
        Gosh, this will get messy.

Even if you could resolve it, the original agency will want a finder's fee, at the very least. And then they could still / may make adverse noises about your candidacy.

If the fall out is irreversible, I would, at one and the same time, start applying for new gigs and follow your route of going through a different agency - but I am wondering if this would have to be done with the client's approval.

Is the fall out irreversible?
        Do you have direct contact with the client to progress a second agency?
        How do you know the alternative agencies?
        They won't be entitled to a finders fee. That's not how it works.

The problems with this are all around what the OP agreed with the agency. If a contract has been signed (who knows what the OP means by 'secured') then it's difficult to disengage. Without a contract it's easier.....but.....
        it's about evidence.... if the agency dont know what's happening then they can't do f*** all.
        Details would be useful.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I think this will be difficult as the client engaged an agency to recruit. There will usually be some sort of agreement between the agency and the client or if not between the contractor and the agency that you can only be represented by them.

If you don't like the terms of the contract then you probably need to look for a new contract. No harm in contacting the existing client, but don't expect it to work out.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

I did this a while back the agent went on holiday before he got to the interview stage. When he came back I got the contract through another agency so he threatened the inv bank with breach of contract they terminated me 3 months later to make him go away & replaced for a contractor from the original agency! Not a nice client anyway so no big loss but still unpleasant scenario!

Comment

Ouch - not at all nice.

Comment

The agency would, assuming it's in their contract with the client (the most basic term for agency contracts). The agency introduced the contractor, usually they'll have a 6 month ownership clause that says if you engage this contractor in any way, shape or form then you pay us X. It's the clients risk and most won't risk it, they'll tell the contractor to sort it out with the agency.

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                They won't be entitled to a finders fee. That's not how it works.

The problems with this are all around what the OP agreed with the agency. If a contract has been signed (who knows what the OP means by 'secured') then it's difficult to disengage. Without a contract it's easier.....but.....
                it's about evidence.... if the agency dont know what's happening then they can't do f*** all.
                Details would be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplianceLady View Post
                  The agency would, assuming it's in their contract with the client (the most basic term for agency contracts). The agency introduced the contractor, usually they'll have a 6 month ownership clause that says if you engage this contractor in any way, shape or form then you pay us X. It's the clients risk and most won't risk it, they'll tell the contractor to sort it out with the agency.
                  That's a big assumption right there.
                  If the agency place a lot of people on the clients site then yes you're right.
                  It's not always the case though.
                  If it is true, then you're right, and the client won't entertain the OPs suggestion in any case.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                  X