• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Outside Public Sector vs Outside Private Sector - same rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Outside Public Sector vs Outside Private Sector - same rate

Hi,

If the rate is the same and both contracts are outside IR35, would you prefer to work in Private or Public Sector?

Is it safer to be in Public sector because client is responsible to determine whether a contract is inside or outside ?

Thanks

No. You do you diligence on the private gig, get your contract checked, understand enough about IR35, get your insurances and fire in.

If you've half a clue about IR35 then, IMO, this is not a decision point on which gig to take.

I'd be much more concerned about where the client is, the work I'd be doing, whats in it for me and so on. IR35 is waaaaay down in the priorities.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

is it worth now?

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      No. You do you diligence on the private gig, get your contract checked, understand enough about IR35, get your insurances and fire in.

Is it worth now being outside IR35 looking at a future with a possibility of RetroTax like Loancharge?

Comment

Originally posted by RobScott View Post
        Is it worth now being outside IR35 looking at a future with a possibility of RetroTax like Loancharge?
        Who knows but we aren't there yet.

Comment

If you've half a clue about IR35 then, IMO, this is not a decision point on which gig to take.

I'd be much more concerned about where the client is, the work I'd be doing, whats in it for me and so on. IR35 is waaaaay down in the priorities.
          Doesn't any action fall on the public sector body who made the decision that you are outside IR35? My understanding is that if HMRC were to investigate and decide you should have been inside, it is them, not you who will carry the can and have to pay the tax.

If so, it is much safer to be in an outside public sector gig than an outside private sector one.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
            Doesn't any action fall on the public sector body who made the decision that you are outside IR35? My understanding is that if HMRC were to investigate and decide you should have been inside, it is them, not you who will carry the can and have to pay the tax.

If so, it is much safer to be in an outside public sector gig than an outside private sector one.
            If that's how you view it then yes you are actually quite correct.

Comment

Hi, did some forum search and decided to dig up this thread.

Excuse my ignorance, but is it possible now for a contract in the public sector to be outside ir35?

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                Hi, did some forum search and decided to dig up this thread.

Excuse my ignorance, but is it possible now for a contract in the public sector to be outside ir35?
                After doing a search, did you also do a read

Short answer, yes, public sector contracts can be assessed outside.

Comment

Erm...really don't know what to make of that question... But.. Of course it is and always has been.

You are aware the same is going to hit the private sector aren't you?

Comment

Erm...really don't know what to make of that question... But.. Of course it is and always has been.

You are aware the same is going to hit the private sector aren't you?
                    Was just asking because since the changes in the public sector I've probably seen 1, maybe 2 contracts deemed outside ir35 (out of maybe a hundred).

And yes, I am aware of the same changes hitting the private sector, thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X