• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside IR35 vs Permanent Income

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside IR35 vs Permanent Income

Hello,

Wondering if anybody could shed some light on this. If you had to choose between an inside ir35 contract and a permanent position, what would you choose? I mean is it even worth considering a contract if it is within IR35? Whats the point? I am reading bits like for a contract within ir35 one could end up paying more tax than if they were permie.

Thanks.

Originally posted by siphr View Post
    Hello,

Wondering if anybody could shed some light on this. If you had to choose between an inside ir35 contract and a permanent position, what would you choose? I mean is it even worth considering a contract if it is within IR35? Whats the point? I am reading bits like for a contract within ir35 one could end up paying more tax than if they were permie.

Thanks.
    You realise you are on a contractor forum right? No one in their right mind is going to tell you to go permanent. If you can't answer that yourself then you really do not understand contracting. The money is only a small aspect. I don't even know where to start trying to answer this for you with the question being so flawed.

Actually, all that said.. Take the permie one.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 13 February 2019, 14:06.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by siphr View Post
      Hello,

Thanks.
      Decent question. Take a look at... Why I quit contracting: the human impact of the IR35 changes

This paragraph sounds realistic. Although I'd by no means be making a loss, just not sure if I'd be making enough extra over permie for it to be worth the hassle of working longer hours and away from home when I've saved a decent enough stash of £ already.
      “For Childs, who would often have to seek contract opportunities further afield, the prospect of operating inside of IR35 is not a viable one, due in large part to the withdrawal of relief on travel expenses.
      Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 May 2019, 11:26.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You realise you are on a contractor forum right? No one in their right mind is going to tell you to go permanent. If you can't answer that yourself then you really do not understand contracting. The money is only a small aspect. I don't even know where to start trying to answer this for you with the question being so flawed.

Actually, all that said.. Take the permie one.
        Have you considered therapy?

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
          Have you considered therapy?
          To help me with my issues with your daft posts?
          Last edited by northernladuk; 14 February 2019, 00:28.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've never understood why IR35 is so terrifying? If the rate is good, and the extra tax means it's still good, why on earth would you not consider it?

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
              I've never understood why IR35 is so terrifying? If the rate is good, and the extra tax means it's still good, why on earth would you not consider it?
              Indeed, it is just a factor to consider, but to discount a contract purely because of it I think is a mistake. I'm currently on a contract inside IR35, it's a very easy 20mile journey versus a more usual 55-60mile slow journey, and offers the opportunity to develop.

Comment

After 30 years contracting I've got an offer on the table that almost matches what I'm getting on contract. I'm seriously considering it. In the old days I wouldn't have given it a thought but it's all getting too stressful. I'm tired of looking over my shoulder. The dividend tax has totally hacked me off as well. Im fed up with the continuing chipping away of everything that makes contracting worthwhile. What price freedom if you're skint and stressed?
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I'd rather take a huge pay cut than take a permie job. I cannot go through performance appraisals, begging for holidays to be approved and "giving back to the community" ever again. No way. Just kill me now.

Comment

Basically this ....
                    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    After 30 years contracting I've got an offer on the table that almost matches what I'm getting on contract. I'm seriously considering it. In the old days I wouldn't have given it a thought but it's all getting too stressful. I'm tired of looking over my shoulder. The dividend tax has totally hacked me off as well. Im fed up with the continuing chipping away of everything that makes contracting worthwhile. What price freedom if you're skint and stressed?
                    ... AND this ...

Originally posted by OneManBand View Post
                    I'd rather take a huge pay cut than take a permie job. I cannot go through performance appraisals, begging for holidays to be approved and "giving back to the community" ever again. No way. Just kill me now.
                    I feel kind of unfortunate that I started perhaps late in contracting. Up here in Edinburgh the market is really dry and has been for a few months. My main reasons for switching to contracting were the nonsensical permie practices, meetings politics, appraisals etc. and for the first contract I had I decided I loved working, however, if there are no suitable contracts (be it due to brexit or IR35) I am beginning to feel there are little choices left

Comment

Working...
                    X