• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can a contract be extended after it has been cancelled

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a contract be extended after it has been cancelled

Just got word I have been let go. I guess it's a relief after all the uncertainty.

My line manager appears to be in shock too. Or is pretending he is lol

Is it possible to renew a contract after you have been asked to go.

Not sure I get the question. Are you asking if the company change their minds, can they then extend you? If yes, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
      Not sure I get the question. Are you asking if the company change their minds, can they then extend you? If yes, yes.
      Something like that. Is it possible for them to change their minds after cancelling your contract is my question.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandNewOne View Post
        Just got word I have been let go. I guess it's a relief after all the uncertainty.

The basic problem here is you do not understand what you do or what you are which isn't a good state of affairs. If you knew you wouldn't need to ask this. There are some other aspects to it as well but lets start with the absolute basics of what you do.

You are a business that carries out set pieces of work agreed with a client. i.e. a contract. You might do this for a set duration or until a set piece of work ends. The contract then comes to an end. You then agree another piece of work with the client, be it another 3 months i.e. an extension or another completely separate piece of work requiring a new contract. What you should be doing is having a piece of work detailed in your contract. If that piece of work is complete that contract has ended, so you agree another contract to do the next piece and so on.

This idea that you as a person have been let go and can't come back is just pure permie thinking. The fact you call him your line manager backs this up. You are an independent supplier. You don't have a line manager.

Once all that has soaked in you will realise that it is indeed possible to carry on, even if they have torn your contract up. You just enter in to another agreement. You aren't being sacked, which appears to be what you are thinking.

What can you do about it? Next to nothing. They've made a decision based on budget, amount of work, permie availability or you are just crap. You need to understand why. If the work has dried up or there is no budget then you are done. Time to shake his hand, say many thanks and call me when you need me. Act professionally. If it's because of you or bad strategic decision you might be able to suggest something but throwing the teddy out of the cot is going to get you walked even faster.

I'm guessing you aren't clued up on IR35. If you were you may have mentioned the fact they've no work yet you want to stay there. That's a bad flag for IR35. Permies do that.

Understand all this and your situation, and your options become much clearer. Gigs ending is what we do. You need to be able to deal with it and move on. It's going to happen to you a lot over your contracting career.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 13 February 2019, 23:16.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And to maybe beat you to your next question.... Your contract allows them to bin you on the spot. If there is no work to do, you can't get a timesheet signed which means you don't get paid. This will be documented in your contract. Effectively instant dismissal. You should not expect to get paid for your notice period. You will only get paid it if you work it.
          But if there is no work to do...etc etc.

Comment

I have a line manager. He's the bloke on the client side who approves my timesheets.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I dont get what the OP doesn't understand....

So client has said we're not renewing I guess? What stops them from two weeks down the line them saying "ah Ok changed of mind do you want to stay heres a contract?".

I've had this twice happen to me. You do think a little bit FFS I've just wasted two weeks looking for another gig. But then its up to you stay or go.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                I dont get what the OP doesn't understand....

So client has said we're not renewing I guess? What stops them from two weeks down the line them saying "ah Ok changed of mind do you want to stay heres a contract?".

I've had this twice happen to me. You do think a little bit FFS I've just wasted two weeks looking for another gig. But then its up to you stay or go.
                You know it's an easy question when our Welsh correspondent nails the answer....
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  You know it's an easy question when our Welsh correspondent nails the answer....
                  It would have been perfect without the moaning and complaining bit.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandNewOne View Post

Nope, totally impossible. Never happened anywhere as far as I know.

Or, yes, it is possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X