• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice period on contract extension that is yet to start

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice period on contract extension that is yet to start

My current contract finishes in few weeks. I have also signed an extension of another couple of months. But the extension is more like a new contract for two more months. Nothing in it seems to suggest its an extension but rather a new gig of 2 months. The current contract( and the extension) has a notice period of two weeks.

While I am nearing the end of the current contract period, I am getting some offers for a new long term gig (much more exciting) which I am planning to go for. So, do I even have to serve a notice since I am still in the contract which technically finishes in couple of weeks and given that I will not be starting the new extension assignment. The wider question being, do you have to serve notices for contracts you have signed for but which you do not plan to start or continue with. Thanks in advance

Yes. You've both agreed a contract and signed it. You expect them to honour the terms which is the start date so you will have to honour the terms around termination.

In reality it's not so formal. Just tell them as soon as you can, agent will throw a fit, client might not be best pleased and that's about it.

Do not piss them about until the last day though. The less notice you give the more pissed off they will be. There is generally going to be little or no comeback but if you take the piss they may be inclined to play hardball with you, which to fair you'd deserve.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 14 February 2019, 00:25.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Don't quite understand the issue of it not looking like an extension though. Makes no difference really.

Comment

Thanks. I will give them notice to part ways on good terms. Never burn any bridges as they say

Comment

Originally posted by vn87 View Post
          Thanks. I will give them notice to part ways on good terms. Never burn any bridges as they say
          Perfect

Comment

Working...
          X