• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Sacking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    You know where.
    Under Mordac's new patio?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Under Mordac's new patio?
      You'd think they'd let Mrs Mordac have some dignity and rest in peace.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        I cocked up big time this week, although through no fault of my own (at all). Cocked up as in at a work level as opposed to personal level, but cannot go into the detail.

However the powers that be don't see it this way and will decide what happens next. I have said that I am prepared to go, so thoughts on whether to ride it out and see, or just offer my notice and leave with my head held high ?
        No advice, just a from me.

It’s horrible being in that situation, but you’ll bounce back.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I cocked up big time this week, although through no fault of my own (at all). Cocked up as in at a work level as opposed to personal level, but cannot go into the detail.

However the powers that be don't see it this way and will decide what happens next. I have said that I am prepared to go, so thoughts on whether to ride it out and see, or just offer my notice and leave with my head held high ?
          Been in somewhat of a similar situation many many years ago and it is a rather unpleasant place to be. I also felt pretty mortified at the time and was also ready to leave should I have been shown the door. Got a bollocking and it died there. Felt a bit crap for a few days and then it all just went away and now is nothing more than an amusing story.

What I wouldn't have done is thrown in the towel before I knew what the outcome was though. A gig is a gig and we all make mistakes. I was willing to suffer the consequences but I certainly wasn't going to throw away a gig when there was a chance it would blow over.

I get where you are coming from but definitely don't give notice. I don't know the situation but it's a bold step to get rid of a valuable resource over one mistake. It costs a lot of time and money to replace you when it was only a mistake. I've seen contractors make some doozies and stay. The only one's I've seen walked were crap anyway and the writing was already on the door. If you are not one of them then I think once the client has calmed down they will realize it's not in their best interest to get rid of you.

Chin up, ride the storm, come back stronger... and above all... keep invoicing.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 22 February 2019, 18:13.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oh... and P.S. Permies get sacked. Contractors don't. You cockwomble

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              now is nothing more than an amusing story
              Go on.... (best Mrs. Doyle voice)

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                We need MF to come and offer some advice on how to sort it out. Usually the technique of biffing the senior stakeholders fixes it.
                He say "make sure you get some other idiot* fired instead"...

*Don't all jump to conclusions now. Oh, go on then...
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Go on.... (best Mrs. Doyle voice)
                  Maybe saying it was amusing is giving it too much credit but in short sent a mail to some contractors advising how we book travel and invoice at a clients. Unfortunately mentioned reward points as well which permies don't get and some dick accidently forwarded it to a permie.

Comment

Yes I have insurance in place but they wont cover being let go early.

Ive been working extra hours already last weekend and all this week into the evenings to try and resolve this.

I fear the confidence has gone already and anything I do now will be futile regardless. Im am feeling like a lame duck and almost embarrassed to go in on Monday !
                    you cocked up this week, and worked last weekend to try to fix it??
                    and if it's no fault of yours, why is it your cockup?

you either cocked up or you didn't.

if you did, and it's major, just worry about ant damage done to the client systems, and give your PE insurance a heads up

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Maybe saying it was amusing is giving it too much credit but in short sent a mail to some contractors advising how we book travel and invoice at a clients. Unfortunately mentioned reward points as well which permies don't get and some dick accidently forwarded it to a permie.
                      Bunch of snowflakes. Now, if you were MF, it would've been a different matter - transporting that fatberg involves some serious reward points.

Comment

Working...
                      X