• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting into Cloud Computing - AWS/Azure/Google Cloud

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting into Cloud Computing - AWS/Azure/Google Cloud

Considering this is a market that will be expanding in the next few years; what do you suggest as the best way to get into cloud computing for someone who has worked as a SW engineer since the early 2000s - mainly embedded C and C#?

Is there any chance that getting certified would land me a developer's contract, or should one start their way from the bottom again, looking for a junior permie role?

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    Considering this is a market that will be expanding in the next few years; what do you suggest as the best way to get into cloud computing for someone who has worked as a SW engineer since the early 2000s - mainly embedded C and C#?

Is there any chance that getting certified would land me a developer's contract, or should one start their way from the bottom again, looking for a junior permie role?
    A good start would be posting this in the Business / Contracts sub-forum, unless you have any relevant experience as a gladiator or radiator bleeder.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      A good start would be posting this in the Business / Contracts sub-forum, unless you have any relevant experience as a gladiator or radiator bleeder.

I can't seem to move it. Would one of the honorable mods move it, please?

Comment

SW engineer. I hate that term. Anyway, as an engineer can you help me with my radiators, they get cold then hot. I noticed the box thing in the storage room goes on at the same time. I've tried letting the water out of the radiator but the new water still gets hot and cold. What type of water do i need?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          SW engineer. I hate that term. Anyway, as an engineer can you help me with my radiators, they get cold then hot. I noticed the box thing in the storage room goes on at the same time. I've tried letting the water out of the radiator but the new water still gets hot and cold. What type of water do i need?
          Dideuterium monoxide i reckon

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            Dideuterium monoxide i reckon
            Do you know how many people that kills each year worldwide?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Do you know how many people that kills each year worldwide?
              More than trousers?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
                More than trousers?
                Yes, but possibly not more than trousering.

Comment

In fact it is the opposite. There are a number of companies that want to move away from cloud due to security issues.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    In fact it is the opposite. There are a number of companies that want to move away from cloud due to security issues.
                    Yes it is getting interesting.

Firstly it was everything in the cloud use AWS it's all brilliant - except when you realise the code monkeys coded some tulip which caused a feedback loop and you have been running 200 servers overnight because you had autoscale on - and then there is the issue of security in that you only have the security AWS (or whichever provider) tell you you have - limited ways to fully test.

So then (and it has happened here) there is a brake on going cloud and people are going back to just buying server /rackspace etc from a provider - wonder how long before there is a realisation that using your own data centre does give some benefits over the other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X