• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you handle intrusive recruiter question.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmo0690 View Post
    Hi

I am a long time reader on this forum, since I started contracting a year ago. I am currently looking for a new 3 months contract and expecting a baby in end of July/very early August.

Just been on the phone with an agent from Insight IT. He asked usual agency sneaky questions, which is fairly understandable. Also, he asks if I have any young children which I need to do school runs and things like that. I didn't know what to answer out of shock and just say no. After the call, I find it so offensive that I am now fuming angry.

How do you deal with those sort of altitude? or is it a norm, I need to grow to live with in contracting world.

thanks.
    I am fuming for you! As a woman with young children it infuriates me that you have to come up against this blatant discrimination. But hey that's the nature of contracting, and if i'm asked outright i'll just deny it. I started looking for my first contract this week and I've even deactivated all my social media incase they go snooping. I am not stupid enough to demand working from home or constant days off to look after sick kids. What a shame that i'm having to hide my kids like i'm ashamed. Given that i'm selling myself as a business it is in my interests to get a good reputation and be reliable.

I bet male contractors don't get asked the same question. Times are changing and in my case I am the bredwinner, my husband will be at home with the kids if they are sick or grandparents. But for some reason that idea seems inconceivable to some?

Comment

Originally posted by Slinky View Post
      I bet male contractors don't get asked the same question
      That's cos you're sexist.

vwdan may be male. (Could be wrong).

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      I once had something similar. Call seemed to be going okay, role sounded fairly legit and he just randomly comes out with "So, what's your home situation?". I was a bit taken aback, and asked for clarification and he started down the line of "Oh, I'm just wondering - y'know, you married, got kids?". I answered yes and yes and it then rapidly became "So, how are they with you working away? You're not going to be running back home all the time are you?" etc.

I was absolutely stunned, to be honest - really taken aback. Without saying the exact words, I pretty much told him to **** off. Told him how inappropriate and legally questionable this line of thinking was. Said I was a successful contractor who'd more than proven myself reliable and I wasn't going to be justifying myself on the phone to a recruiter, and nor was I interested in their job.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I recently got turned down for a 6 months contract because of pregnancy. It was only last weeks of last months are affected. I have mentioned that I will accommodate the lost days well beforehand to keep everything in check. Still it wasn't enough and turned down on the basis of timings.

It is not even about being sexist in any way. But I do wonder if that would be the same if it was a future dad in my situation, will he get the contract?
        Last edited by mmo0690; 28 February 2019, 08:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Slinky View Post
          I am fuming for you! As a woman with young children it infuriates me that you have to come up against this blatant discrimination. But hey that's the nature of contracting, and if i'm asked outright i'll just deny it. I started looking for my first contract this week and I've even deactivated all my social media incase they go snooping. I am not stupid enough to demand working from home or constant days off to look after sick kids. What a shame that i'm having to hide my kids like i'm ashamed. Given that i'm selling myself as a business it is in my interests to get a good reputation and be reliable.

I bet male contractors don't get asked the same question. Times are changing and in my case I am the bredwinner, my husband will be at home with the kids if they are sick or grandparents. But for some reason that idea seems inconceivable to some?
          I feel for you. Honestly. Unfortunately, thats the IT industry for you....

My mrs is a district nurse. Time off at short notice is not great. Someone sitting at home may be let down. Generally, working in IT you or I having a day off does not directly affect someones health.
          One of my kids was ill once. Mrs tried to get cover but no joy. Of course, I didnt want to take a day off - lot of money. So I phoned client. Got asked "so why can't your mrs take time off?". It was obvious that the implication was "kids = wifes problem not yours"

The again as NLUK said above, lots of clients have been burnt. Not just because of kids but because of distance away from home. Not everyone is as professional or switched on as you obviously are. I well remember a contractor who turned up for 2 days, then quit and said "not driving this far every day". Did the site move 100 miles further away overnight before he started on the monday?

BUT if I was you I'd lie to the agent too......
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X