• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you handle intrusive recruiter question.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you handle intrusive recruiter question.

Hi

I am a long time reader on this forum, since I started contracting a year ago. I am currently looking for a new 3 months contract and expecting a baby in end of July/very early August.

Just been on the phone with an agent from Insight IT. He asked usual agency sneaky questions, which is fairly understandable. Also, he asks if I have any young children which I need to do school runs and things like that. I didn't know what to answer out of shock and just say no. After the call, I find it so offensive that I am now fuming angry.

How do you deal with those sort of altitude? or is it a norm, I need to grow to live with in contracting world.

thanks.

I have to say, I have never been asked that by an agent.

Pretty sure it's not a question that is 'allowed' as they can't be seen to be discriminating against someone on that basis. I'd have a right go at any agent that dared to ask - it's none of their business! That, and it's irrelevant in a business to business contract.

Comment

I think ALL of the usual agency questions will become part of your norm before long.

Which is to say, apply for a few more gigs and you will understand what makes you fuming now will, in time, just be part of the dance.

From the agency guy's point of view, he doesn't want to recruit the same person twice in two months. Which is understandable. From your point of view, you will join him in his dance as part of the process to get you get to the client's recruiter. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I have to say, I have never been asked that by an agent.

Pretty sure it's not a question that is 'allowed' as they can't be seen to be discriminating against someone on that basis. I'd have a right go at any agent that dared to ask - it's none of their business! That, and it's irrelevant in a business to business contract.
        There are some interesting articles out there about this and funnily enough a few mention your last point but not for the reasons you do. The term 'you can't discriminate against a LTD company' seems to be the gist of it.

To pursue claims of discrimination you'd have to do it as an individual goes against their claims to be a legitimate B2B providor and the benefits that come with it.

First time I've heard of an agent asking a question like this though. You can image the reasons why but I'd have thought he wouldn't have dared. He's either pretty stupid or really knows his law and knows there is nothing can be done. I know which my money is on
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 May 2019, 13:18.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mmo0690 View Post
          Hi

I am a long time reader on this forum, since I started contracting a year ago. I am currently looking for a new 3 months contract and expecting a baby in end of July/very early August.

Just been on the phone with an agent from Insight IT. He asked usual agency sneaky questions, which is fairly understandable. Also, he asks if I have any young children which I need to do school runs and things like that. I didn't know what to answer out of shock and just say no. After the call, I find it so offensive that I am now fuming angry.

How do you deal with those sort of altitude? or is it a norm, I need to grow to live with in contracting world.

thanks.
          Do you happen to be of the female persuasion? In any case, I would like and say you have no kids.

Comment

Originally posted by mmo0690 View Post
            How do you deal with those sort of attitude?
            Two words. First begins with F...

Just because someone asks a question it doesn't mean you have to answer it. The recruiter won't be offended anyway. Not if there is money to be made.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I don't think their question was reasonable, but for a bit of context, did you tell them you were only looking for a short contract because you were expecting?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

No I didnt tell him that I am only looking for 3 months contract. He posted a contract position on LinkedIn so I sent him my CV last week or so. I don't receive any reply for that.

This week, I receive an email from him with a position which seems to match my profile, so I replied and said I am interested. Then he called me to ask a bunch of questions about my work history. He has not mentioned of any company name and just ask me load of questions about my previous roles.

Comment

Care to name & shame?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I am not sure I am allowed to, not sure about the forum rules. He is from Insight IT. But if you like, I can pm you his name.

Comment

Working...
                    X