• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Contracting work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT Contracting work

Hi all,

I am currently doing my final year dissertation at Northumbria University surrounding UK based IT contracting and self-employment and require participants for an online survey. This should only take around 5-10 minutes.

If you are currently or have previously undertaken work as an IT contractor, consultant, freelancer or similar variation I would appreciate the help.

The survey url is: IT Contracting and Self-Employment Survey and will take you directly to google forms

Thanks
    Last edited by andrewnorthubria; 27 February 2019, 14:52.

Your first five questions actually have little bearing on the subject in question, but whatever floats your boat.

A lot of the rest is already out there in the public domain. Take a look at CRSE's work for one.

And we aren't ever "employed". We're freelance contractors. Don't mix the two up.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Your first five questions actually have little bearing on the subject in question, but whatever floats your boat.

A lot of the rest is already out there in the public domain. Take a look at CRSE's work for one.

And we aren't ever "employed". We're freelance contractors. Don't mix the two up.

My work includes a large section investigating individuals characteristic to determine motives into contracting. Although it may not appear relevant, it is still good use to me

Comment

Done. And good luck to you.

Comment

Done.

I'd be interested what the average person has put as the main reason for contracting.

If it's about flexibility then it's lies, really it's about the money

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
            Done.

I'd be interested what the average person has put as the main reason for contracting.

No, it's about the independence from corporate politics and HR nonsense.

Money is not a motivator, despite what many think, it's a comfort factor and/or an indicator of success. Also the real world gap between permie and contractor net income is rapidly closing.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
              Done.

It may be a lie from you, but not from others, and it wasn’t from me.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                It may be a lie from you, but not from others, and it wasn’t from me.
                I'll be honest, I started for the money.

But the flexibility is definitely up there with the reasons I'm still doing it!

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
                  I'll be honest, I started for the money.

But the flexibility is definitely up there with the reasons I'm still doing it!
                  Yes, I agree, actually (although in my case I went for the work, which was a challenge, rather than the money - which was also pleasantly higher than my last real job).

It doesn't take long for the big income to become normal, and the freedom from the corporate greasy pole climbers and pointless Human Remains staff rapidly takes over.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Also the real world gap between permie and contractor net income is rapidly closing.
                    Is it? What's your source? Here's IPSEs

Freelancer Confidence Index Q4 2018 | IPSE

Comment

Working...
                    X