Contractor Interviews and Testing? Contractor Interviews and Testing? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 49
  1. #21

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    11,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Fair point, but how do chancers get weeded out at interview for such roles?

    I'd expect if the CV is relatively honest then those asked for interview will have relevant experience and will be able to do the job, so it's down to the agency/recruiter checking the facts accurately to not put inappropriate candidates forward in the first place.

    Just need to know one's limits and seek out appropriate opportunities then convince the client/employer you can do what's going to be asked. How the client/employer goes about that task is where the interesting differences in approach lie that I and others are probably interested to hear for future interviews.
    As you say, it's all about due diligence by the agency - which is why a lot of good people are sat on the bench...

    That's why your CV has to demonstrate a provable history of delivering exactly what it is the client is after. Most good people can deliver programmes almost regardless of the underlying subject matter - I've delivered Service Desks, end-to-end business improvement programmes and technical datacentre migrations, for example - but in these days of tick-box recruitment if you haven't done that job recently then you won't even get to interview.
    Blog? What blog...?

  2. #22

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    That's why your CV has to demonstrate a provable history of delivering exactly what it is the client is after. Most good people can deliver programmes almost regardless of the underlying subject matter - I've delivered Service Desks, end-to-end business improvement programmes and technical datacentre migrations, for example - but in these days of tick-box recruitment if you haven't done that job recently then you won't even get to interview.
    This x a million (As an architect currently sat on the bench).

  3. #23

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    866

    Default

    I once witnessed an insurance client force every technical person from one of the Indian outsourcers before they go ttheir admin credentials so dont think its an IR35 indicator

  4. #24

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    20,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pr1 View Post
    Oh yes. I only came in to fix the drains... now I'm a SAP specialist on +1K a day.

    There was a lovely article in Freelance Informer years ago, about a guy who claimed that he'd moved from COBOL to C, because he assumed the agency was just using an abbreviation. Then to C++, because "it's just a variant". Since reading that article if the client ever ask me "can you do x", I reply. "Yes". Then figure it out later. It's IT, not that much is that difficult.
    "Boom! Boom!" - B. Brush

  5. #25

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    11,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Oh yes. I only came in to fix the drains... now I'm a SAP specialist on +1K a day.

    There was a lovely article in Freelance Informer years ago, about a guy who claimed that he'd moved from COBOL to C, because he assumed the agency was just using an abbreviation. Then to C++, because "it's just a variant". Since reading that article if the client ever ask me "can you do x", I reply. "Yes". Then figure it out later. It's IT, not that much is that difficult.
    A coder is a coder. Regardless of the language you're using your brain works in the way that lets you break down problems to logical components. I got through 13 languages and seven Operating Systems before I was 35.

    Management and high level design simply doesn't work like that. For one thing, you have to deal with people...
    Blog? What blog...?

  6. #26

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Cid can you tell me what the 5 FSMO roles are ?

    Schema Master
    Domain Naming Master
    ID Master
    PDC
    Infrastructure Master

    Well done Cid you are the only person to have correctly memorized this.


    Indeed but tell me Mr technical interviewer..
    I have yet to be in an environment where these 5 roles have been separated onto different servers or in any way changed from just being part of the default AD set up.
    Can you tell me how the roles have been dispersed in your AD environment and what the reasoning behind that was ?

    No ?
    Oh is that because you got the question from a book with no real idea of the real world application ?
    i see....

  7. #27

    Super poster

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    2,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cid View Post
    ...
    Oh is that because you got the question from a book with no real idea of the real world application ?
    i see....

    Reminds me of a couple of interviews I've been asked to come along to as technical backup after the interviewer (IT Manager) downloaded a load of technical questions from the internet. Fortunately I was never asked the questions up front and I helped the candidates out where I could when they floundered answering some of them.

    Maybe we should start a CUK secret handshake so when contractors are interviewing contractors we can shortcut the bollox.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

  8. #28

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Reminds me of a couple of interviews I've been asked to come along to as technical backup after the interviewer (IT Manager) downloaded a load of technical questions from the internet. Fortunately I was never asked the questions up front and I helped the candidates out where I could when they floundered answering some of them.

    Maybe we should start a CUK secret handshake so when contractors are interviewing contractors we can shortcut the bollox.
    i propose a cupping of your own balls with your right hand followed by spitting on the floor and tapping the nose with your left index finger

  9. #29

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    38,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post

    Maybe we should start a CUK secret handshake so when contractors are interviewing contractors we can shortcut the bollox.
    Good idea. So if someone gives you the CUK hand shake you can say thanks but no thanks and terminate the interview to save some time.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  10. #30

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    Best gigs - ones secured via friendly chat.
    Crap gigs - one involving multiple interviews and/or tests.
    Exactly my experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Words fail me.
    1 hour task, a projector to share my screen, 2 non-tech people looking over my shoulder close enough to be pinched and other 2 functional guys maintaining eye contact while watching my typing.
    Finally I were accused for non-use of a code editor short-cut keys (nobody uses them in my field due to product specifics) to list classes and types.

    It is always irrelevant. Yes best gigs via friendly chat. Best not for relaxing but in opposite a lot of hard work that need to be done yesterday. I tested and certified in all means many times. When I am offered a test I assume there is no work actually. At least for me

    You will be tested.

    I don't like tests, and I particularly dislike the standard, certification type test that are all the rage. In my opinion they do not so much find out who can pragmatically complete the job as who knows the irrelevant details of a programming language.

    IT contractor interviews: Technical tests & tough questions

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •