• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviews - Client pays?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    If you cannot/will not attend the interview unless they pay expenses then option 1 would be to see if skype/online interview is possible.
    If that was my client co interviewing, they would tell the candidate to not bother attending and find someone else instead !

Comment

Normally it's on your own expense, if they offer to pay for it just accept it, but always assume and it's in 99% of interviews the case you have to pay it your self and you put it on your business expenses

I have had two or three occasions where I had to travel for several hours, drive hundreds of miles to find out the client had "forgotten" there was an interview or claimed he didn't know, the agency hadn't informed them. In those cases I send a bill for wasting my time and my expenses to the agency, not that they ever pay though, not chasing them to pay either, it's just to make a point

Comment

As and when can you update the post to let us know what happened ?
        Did you ask for expenses to be paid and what did they say ?

i fear my skills and seniority are not sufficient for me to demand such things...

Comment

Originally posted by ATFC View Post
          I feel your pain.
          Last week I turned up at an interview only to find out the client had booked it in his diary for the wrong day so wasn't there!
          Went back the next day and the recruiter hadn't told the client I would only take the contract on a day rate! agh!!
          Now in this case I would have kicked off and wanted paying for wasted travelling....
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Now in this case I would have kicked off and wanted paying for wasted travelling....
            Good luck with that. I suspect that the agent would blame the client and vice versa. If you started kicking off before you'd even got the contract I suspect they wouldn't touch you with a barge pole.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              Normally it's on your own expense, if they offer to pay for it just accept it, but always assume and it's in 99% of interviews the case you have to pay it your self and you put it on your business expenses

I have had two or three occasions where I had to travel for several hours, drive hundreds of miles to find out the client had "forgotten" there was an interview or claimed he didn't know, the agency hadn't informed them. In those cases I send a bill for wasting my time and my expenses to the agency, not that they ever pay though, not chasing them to pay either, it's just to make a point
              Years ago in permie land when I was a lad went for interview in London with promise that job was actually in the south west. Of course, £100+ for train I rock up. First question - "So would you plan to relocate to london I guess?". End of interview it was in London end of story.

Phoned the agency and asked him what he was playing at. Agency guy said "yes I knew it was london but thought you'd like it there and decide to move anyway".

As if the streets of london are paved with gold and I'd be glad to get away from my sheep infested cave in wales.

Coughed up for my train fare though. I dread to think what the client said to them about the 1 minute interview wasting THEIR time as well.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                Good luck with that. I suspect that the agent would blame the client and vice versa. If you started kicking off before you'd even got the contract I suspect they wouldn't touch you with a barge pole.
                Probably right of course. Would you want to work for someone so piss poorly organised either though?

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

Again, London. AM interview. Train fare - £180 or something at peak times. If they put it back 30 mins it'd be £35. I was on JSA at the time! They said no. Waste over two weeks JSA money no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Would you buggery. You'd come and moan on here at best.

Would you want to work for someone so piss poorly organised either though?
                    Hardly a good yardstick to judge a gig let alone an entire company.

Again, London. AM interview. Train fare - £180 or something at peak times. If they put it back 30 mins it'd be £35. I was on JSA at the time! They said no. Waste over two weeks JSA money no thanks.
                    Jesus
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 5 March 2019, 12:04.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There should be a circle of hell reserved for clients who get you to the other side of the country where you do a perfectly good interview to find out they only want local people.

Comment

Working...
                      X