• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviews - Client pays?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interviews - Client pays?

Hi,

I've just had a telephone interview this morning where the client has come back and asked me to attend an interview in London this week

I've said I'm happy to attend but they need to pick up the tab (travel at least). The role would be based predominantly in the N/W

Do you think I'm being fair or am I being unrealistic?

Background is last month I went for another contract and got piped to the post. This cost me 2 days holiday plus 2 lots of train fares to London from the N/W. It made my eyes water what it probably cost me

Thanks

It's the cost of doing business, if the potential client offers to reimburse expenses I might take them up (never have done so far), but otherwise I pay.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I feel your pain.
      Last week I turned up at an interview only to find out the client had booked it in his diary for the wrong day so wasn't there!
      Went back the next day and the recruiter hadn't told the client I would only take the contract on a day rate! agh!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogz111 View Post
        This cost me 2 days holiday plus 2 lots of train fares to London from the N/W. It made my eyes water what it probably cost me

Thanks
        As Simon says, it's the cost of doing business, and as such, it's something you put through your company, so you personally should not be out of pocket for it.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          It's the cost of doing business, if the potential client offers to reimburse expenses I might take them up (never have done so far), but otherwise I pay.
          Totally this.

Bearing in mind you will be one of the only ones asking for this you've put yourself right to the back of the queue for this gig. You'll lose a lot more on the bench than one train journey to London.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Totally this.

Bearing in mind you will be one of the only ones asking for this you've put yourself right to the back of the queue for this gig. You'll lose a lot more on the bench than one train journey to London.
            My perspective is I’m not on the bench until end of April and even then I’ll probably be extended

I’m fortunate in that the skills and seniority they are asking for are not in ready supply

I know what people are saying about it being a cost of doing business but given the role is NW based and they want to interview me in London, I think I’m being fair

Appreciate everyone’s opinion

Comment

Originally posted by dogz111 View Post
              My perspective is I’m not on the bench until end of April and even then I’ll probably be extended

I’m fortunate in that the skills and seniority they are asking for are not in ready supply

I know what people are saying about it being a cost of doing business but given the role is NW based and they want to interview me in London, I think I’m being fair

Appreciate everyone’s opinion
              I agree with you, I must say that I probably wouldn't have the balls to try it myself, but on the face of it you're being reasonable.
              If the gig was in the UK but they wanted to interview you in New York/Dubai etc, would they expect you to pay for the flights and hotels?

The other side of this is that an interview is a chance for you to make sure its right for you - things like the office, the culture, the commute. Any chance of doing a videoconference interview or wait for the client rep to be in the North?

Comment

Cost of doing business.

If you can't afford the up front cost of a speculative trip, just apply for things closer to home for now.

Not sure that asking for the expenses for an interview does/did you many favours. Would you pay the cost of a plumber to come round to quote for your bathrooms?

Comment

If you cannot/will not attend the interview unless they pay expenses then option 1 would be to see if skype/online interview is possible.

If not, then you need to decide whether you insist on expenses or lose the chance of a contract.

Comment

What % of day rate if you got the contract would the travel cost be. 20% of first day max or something like that ?
                    Small fry as they say.

Comment

Working...
                    X