• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wipro Contract with Lloyd’s Banking Group via Agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wipro Contract with Lloyd’s Banking Group via Agency

I’m relatively new to the contracting scene (just coming up to the end of my first year) and I’m currently in the process of interviewing for a new contract with Wipro for Lloyd’s Banking Group. I’ve done their tech test and have a phone interview later this week.

It’s hard to avoid the overwhelming amount of criticism of Wipro and the horror stories I’ve read in the forum do fill me with some doubt. That being said, I’m not applying for this role directly through Wipro, instead via an agency. Is this likely to give me at least a smidge of security / likelihood of being paid on time, etc?

The rate they’re offering is more than I’m on at the minute but I’m well aware it’s below the market average after everyone has dipped their hand into the pot and because of Wipro’s stack ‘em high sell ‘em cheap approach. That being said, I would welcome the opportunity of working in the banking sector from an experience POV.

I guess my question is, does the fact I’m applying via an agency lessen the risk of these horror stories I’ve read so much about coming to fruition or shall I just start running for the hills now?

Originally posted by ojf95 View Post
    I’m relatively new to the contracting scene (just coming up to the end of my first year) and I’m currently in the process of interviewing for a new contract with Wipro for Lloyd’s Banking Group. I’ve done their tech test and have a phone interview later this week.

It’s hard to avoid the overwhelming amount of criticism of Wipro and the horror stories I’ve read in the forum do fill me with some doubt. That being said, I’m not applying for this role directly through Wipro, instead via an agency. Is this likely to give me at least a smidge of security / likelihood of being paid on time, etc?

The rate they’re offering is more than I’m on at the minute but I’m well aware it’s below the market average after everyone has dipped their hand into the pot and because of Wipro’s stack ‘em high sell ‘em cheap approach. That being said, I would welcome the opportunity of working in the banking sector from an experience POV.

I guess my question is, does the fact I’m applying via an agency lessen the risk of these horror stories I’ve read so much about coming to fruition or shall I just start running for the hills now?
    depends on your appetite for risk.
    it's not just the fiscal stuff. working practices suck, etc.
    Personally i wouldn't touch a wipro gig with old greg's, or kostabel els'.
    but if you need the gig, take it, and keep an eye out for something better.

Comment

Originally posted by ojf95 View Post
      I

Is the agency one of these Indian agencies that pretend to have offices in the Uk but are actually India based? If so, run

Comment

This is what you should be aware of when dealing with Wipro, TCS, Cognizant and the like. They pair you up with another guy to pick up your expertise. After say 6 months or so down the line, your services would't be required as they have their own resource trained by an expert/you, who can in turn train other minions.

Comment

Financially, you might be okay through another agency, but it depends on that agency. Make sure they’re U.K. based, and check their reputation for paying on time.

If you are just using the role as a stepping stone, be prepared for your last timesheet to not be signed if you walk.

Be prepared to be treated like tulip by the local manager, who thinks he’s the dog’s bollocks but couldn’t do a decent day’s work if he tried (and it will be a he).

Be prepared to “mentor” one of their own. By mentor, read “train from scratch”. They’ll give you a shadow that says he’s done it all before but struggles to log on.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            Be prepared to “mentor” one of their own. By mentor, read “train from scratch”. They’ll give you a shadow that says he’s done it all before but struggles to log on.
            Spot on!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              Is the agency one of these Indian agencies that pretend to have offices in the Uk but are actually India based? If so, run
              The recruitment company I've been dealing with are London based. On the face of it, they seem totally unrelated.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                Financially, you might be okay through another agency, but it depends on that agency. Make sure they’re U.K. based, and check their reputation for paying on time.

If you are just using the role as a stepping stone, be prepared for your last timesheet to not be signed if you walk.

Be prepared to be treated like tulip by the local manager, who thinks he’s the dog’s bollocks but couldn’t do a decent day’s work if he tried (and it will be a he).

The recruitment company seem legit. I'm assuming they would be acting as the middleman between me and Wipro so are less likely to mess me about. I wouldn't be going into it expecting to be there longer than six months if I'm honest.

I was sent the onboarding documents this morning (as a heads up from the recruitment firm if I was to get the job – seemed to be jumping the gun a little). They seem to want to know an awful lot about me for the BVG checks as well as asking me to purchase a Disclosure Scotland (which they claim they will reimburse me for on my first invoice) ... but I guess that could be due to the nature of the end client?

Comment

Well, I wouldn't touch a Wipro anything, no matter how many stages removed I might be.

That said, if there is a clause in your contract with your UK agency that says, you don't get paid until the agency gets paid, then ultimately (if you really believe there is an issue with payment), you could be well and truly buggered.

If Wipro, or any other agency of ill repute, pay late, then the terms of your UK agency (in this example) will be well held up if they pay promptly, after they are paid. If Wipro aren't paying the UK, then you are on a hiding to the square route of naff all.

Anyway, banking might be worth the risk for three months, if you have a war chest. Do you?

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                    Well, I wouldn't touch a Wipro anything, no matter how many stages removed I might be.

That said, if there is a clause in your contract with your UK agency that says, you don't get paid until the agency gets paid, then ultimately (if you really believe there is an issue with payment), you could be well and truly buggered.

If Wipro, or any other agency of ill repute, pay late, then the terms of your UK agency (in this example) will be well held up if they pay promptly, after they are paid. If Wipro aren't paying the UK, then you are on a hiding to the square route of naff all.

Anyway, banking might be worth the risk for three months, if you have a war chest. Do you?
                    Yeah, I suppose it all comes down to the contract in the end.

I've been rather privileged in my current contract – invoice paid within 14 days of issuing it.

I've got a good three months earnings set aside – so could be worth the punt. Currently doing a 100 miles round trip everyday for my current contract – taking this contract would knock it down to 5 miles.

Comment

Working...
                    X