• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any advice from parents on here please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any advice from parents on here please

Hi

I am wondering how people on here cope with raising children when they are contracting. And their partner also have a full time job. It would be good if you could advice how you go about organising your finances. Like getting a bigger house to move to an area where you are happy to see your child growing.

I am about to become a mommy in a few month times and would like to keep contracting. But the thought of leaving the newborn to a stranger (nanny or childminder) makes me feel guilty.

I can think of a few options.

1. Stop working for a year to raise the kid and back to contracting after. Possibly live off any saving I have. This will reduce the saving pot size for mortgage, possibly push back the date to get a new house.
    2. Go back to work but leave the baby with relative/friend/child carer.
    3. Go back to permanent job with some WFH days which can give some quality time with the child. Possibly earning less and less enjoyable as it has limited variety of work.

What did you do when you have your first child while contracting?

Thanks.

Originally posted by mmo0690 View Post
    Hi

I am wondering how people on here cope with raising children when they are contracting. And their partner also have a full time job. It would be good if you could advice how you go about organising your finances. Like getting a bigger house to move to an area where you are happy to see your child growing.

I am about to become a mommy in a few month times and would like to keep contracting. But the thought of leaving the newborn to a stranger (nanny or childminder) makes me feel guilty.

I can think of a few options.

1. Stop working for a year to raise the kid and back to contracting after. Possibly live off any saving I have. This will reduce the saving pot size for mortgage, possibly push back the date to get a new house.
    2. Go back to work but leave the baby with relative/friend/child carer.
    3. Go back to permanent job with some WFH days which can give some quality time with the child. Possibly earning less and less enjoyable as it has limited variety of work.

What did you do when you have your first child while contracting?

Thanks.
    Try Mumsnet, half the people on here can't be trusted with a cabbage patch doll, never mind a child.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Okay. I know of mumsnet. But I would like to learn from contractor parents too?

Comment

Okay. I know of mumsnet. But I would like to learn from contractor parents too?
        What does your husband say about you thinking of gadding about and leaving the child to fend for itself?
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

the first thirty years are the hardest

Comment

Is this Gittinsgal again??
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

He isn't against my work. We are still in the process of thinking through the options. We have got a few months left to come up with a plan for the baby.

Just did some reading through the mumsnet, it sounds like a lot of ladies there are talking about their IT contractor husbands.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                It smells like a duck, it weighs the same as a duck so...

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  What is Gittinsgal?

Comment

He isn't against my work. We are still in the process of thinking through the options. We have got a few months left to come up with a plan for the baby.

Just did some reading through the mumsnet, it sounds like a lot of ladies there are talking about their IT contractor husbands.
                    Yep, working away all week, spending every night in the pub, not a care in the world while the poor young lady is bare-foot, pregnant and chained to the kitchen sink...

Comment

Working...
                    X