• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any advice from parents on here please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmo0690 View Post
    What is Gittinsgal?
    The uber cretin. The cretin to which we benchmark all cretins, except sasguru who is special.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      The uber cretin. The cretin to which we benchmark all cretins, except sasguru who is special.
      Yeah but he's our "special".
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by mmo0690 View Post
        Hi

I am wondering how people on here cope with raising children when they are contracting. And their partner also have a full time job. It would be good if you could advice how you go about organising your finances. Like getting a bigger house to move to an area where you are happy to see your child growing.

I am about to become a mommy in a few month times and would like to keep contracting. But the thought of leaving the newborn to a stranger (nanny or childminder) makes me feel guilty...
        Why not be a stay at home mum for a couple of years and make 'the child' as you refer to them your priority ? They will grow and develop so quickly. You have time to go back into contracting in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          Yeah but he's our "special".

I wouldn't touch him with yours!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            Is this Gittinsgal again??
            No. Since this is a serious question, moved to Business/Contracts.

For the OP. One of you take the time off to look after the kid. You won't lose out. My daughter-in-law was half way through her degree when she got pregnant. By the time she'd given birth, she wasn't too fussed about completing the degree. (But she is doing it, recognising the importance of keeping her options open).

My wife didn't work professionally until our youngest was in her teens. She's works now in a fulfilling job as, given the pressures of today's world, is glad she was there for them during the holidays and when they got home from school.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              No. Since this is a serious question, moved to Business/Contracts.

For the OP. One of you take the time off to look after the kid. You won't lose out. My daughter-in-law was half way through her degree when she got pregnant. By the time she'd given birth, she wasn't too fussed about completing the degree. (But she is doing it, recognising the importance of keeping her options open).

My wife didn't work professionally until our youngest was in her teens. She's works now in a fulfilling job as, given the pressures of today's world, is glad she was there for them during the holidays and when they got home from school.
              My other half works in a sector where there is only a few positions nationally. If he takes a break, it is very likely affect his career going forward.

From my side, I started contracting last year May. I have been doing okay with finding contracts. Every face to face interviews seem to lead to an offer (Is it a standard?). I am not sure that good times like this will wait longer?

Ideally, I like to see anyone balancing a new parent life with contract work, as I am trying to create financially secure future for the baby as well as providing loving childhood.
              Last edited by mmo0690; 5 March 2019, 21:15.

Comment

you get one go with each kid. Give it your best shot!

Originally my wife was a stay at home mum but she got bored so became a child minder. She loves it.

Things are far less important than people so live for your kids not your comfort. Luckily I managed to nearly do both but I have fairly simple tastes.(that is why I like the mods here )
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I responded by giving up contracting and going back to the perm world. I needed stability and a predictable working day!
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

When "offspring" was born we'd planned that I would have 3 months off to help the Mrs and to bond with the child.

After the 3 months I went back to contracting and my other half used up her Maternity leave before going back to work and the offspring went to Nursery.

As offspring got older(6 years old) we decided that it would be better for us if I found work more locally.

I now work 6 miles away from home and collect him from school, take him to extra curricular activities etc. That was the best move I made.

There are still times when I have to visit other sites and stay away from home the odd few days but the stability we now have really helps.

If you can find contract work on your doorstep then that may make things easier for you, you may find staying away from home during the week and all that entails to be too much to juggle.

YMMV
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Hi, so I'll explain my life a bit... Of course, this is our life and how we want to manage our family, might not be for all but might answer a few questions you had.

I'm the contractor (IT Infrastructure), approx 7 years now my wife if a permie PM, same company for 10+ years, we have 2 kids under 9. Most of my contracts have been long term, year or longer. I've worked in London and local to home whilst my wife is normally office based at one location, has begun to travel globally over the past 3 years almost 2 weeks out of the month she is out of the country. We are both career driven and very driven people.

Kids have always been childminded, wife took close to a year off after each birth, but doesn't do the clicky Mum's groups at all, just not her. She enjoys her work too much as do I. Kids love the childminders we've used, they get out more than if they were with us and meet kids not only from their school, but others too due to the childminders meeting other childminders in the area. If they were with us we'd literally just be doing the usual drops and picks as well as taking them food shopping etc. we've always found a childminder who enjoys being a kid themselves, they really enjoy it!

In terms of balance, we've always managed well, one does the drop off, the other picks up. I don't plan on working back in London, yes I miss the cheeky beer after work, but prefer being local and home at a reasonable time. We plan meetings around one of us always being available to pickup and generally are in a position to be able to wfh when needed for school bits. I've been very lucky to have had clients that understand that people have kids and there will be the odd occasion where I either have to knock off early of take an extra hour here and there, but always make up my time to compensate.

Financially, we've been lucky and managed to move houses a couple of times and always kept the stock pile well stocked. Our money goes into a general account and that takes care of anything family related, anything left over gets saved.

Comment

Working...
                      X