• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any advice from parents on here please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the key is that at least one of you needs to have some flexibility so that you can deal with the unexpected. That doesn't need to be you - what if your jobs were reversed - do women working in his field not have children? But it's down to what both of you want and can afford, and that's only something you can decide together.

Comment

Just posting to get a like and thanks from the OP.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hmmm not sure if it'll work to be honest staying as a contractor.

My mrs only works p/t (as a nurse) and its a logistical nightmare sometimes (and my gig is local). Just can't see it being worth the hassle....
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Just posting to get a like and thanks from the OP.
          okay mission accomplished then.

Comment

Two contracts I had done have been local. I don't drive and local tram network has been good. So I only apply for local contracts with skills matching my profile. So it was easy going so far.

This is my first (probably likely only one) and I just don't know how to gauge things with the baby. Had watched this documentary and have to admit it is giving me a bit of chill.

YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Hmmm not sure if it'll work to be honest staying as a contractor.

My mrs only works p/t (as a nurse) and its a logistical nightmare sometimes (and my gig is local). Just can't see it being worth the hassle....
              I don't get what the difference is.
              Contractor hours aren't any longer than perm. In my experience they are shorter hours with greater flexibility.

The main difference is the lack of maternity leave for a contractor. I would advise the OP to take 6 months to a year out if affordable. Or get the other half to do that, or a combination.
              During that time find a child minder. And don't forget that the government allow you to find some or all of that child care using something similar to chaild-care vouchers (other threads are available with more detail).
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I've known quite a few women who decided after the baby was born to not go back to work for quite a few years.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I’m not a contractor (yet, im working on it! ) however some of what you say is kind of relatable. I’m a mother of 2 under 3.

It all depends on your finances and your priorities. Your priorities now may be different after you have a baby as you don’t know how you will feel being at home with them 24/7. I personally am not cut out to be a stay at home Mum and was itching to get back to work. Maybe that was exacerbated by the fact I had 2 of the rascals within a year though. Work is a doddle compared to that! However I have friends who love it and are not interested in going back to work for years, and they luckily have that option.

In a perfect world I’d work part time and my husbands income would be enough to support us. Alas, that isn’t the case. I am the breadwinner I have to work full time and so I’ve decided to take the bull by the horns and go for it contracting. For the flexibility and yes the money..if I got a decent contract I could have 3 months off a year and still be massively quids in (in theory, I know contracting life doesn’t always pan out as seamlessly as we want)

If the babies are ill then my husband will be the go to person. If that wasn’t an option I’d say then contracting can’t be an option. By the way, kids get sick A LOT. Especially after they start preschool/ nursery. My oldest has 50% attendance at pre school since he started he is sick every other week at the moment...And they won’t let you send them when they are ill so you seriously need backup for a lot of the first few years.

Comment

Working...
                  X