• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Declining a contract or cancelling an interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by man View Post
    I'm on the bench and a large ex-client of mine has informed me (after one of those interviews where it appeared that I just needed to turn up) they'll be making an offer
    The paperwork process has started but I haven't seen sight of the contract yet - there's not much chance the role will get canned but you never know.

I do however, have hiring manager interviews lined up with another couple of prospective clients over the next few days (1. Another large ex-client and 2. A moderate size consultancy I've never dealt with before).

As I haven't signed/seen a contract and the market hasn't felt at all lively this year I'm not feeling all that keen to shut down the other prospects and cancel the interviews etc by telling them about my incoming offer, but neither do I want them to feel strung along (partly because last time I turned down an offer from a prospective client post-interview, that same client refused my application when the role opened up again a few months or so down the line, so I'd clearly upset them by refusing).

So when do you tell the other agents involved with the other roles about incoming offers and essentially pull out from client interviews etc?
    Until the deal is signed and delivered, ie you're providing service then you're on the market.

Client gets sniffy you turned them down before? Big deal - end of the day too many contractors seem to believe interviews are one way streets. Client may appear decent, something else comes along that's better then you'd be stupid to turn that down.

Go for as many interviews as you can, make the decision when you absolutely have to. Dealing with any "fallout" is part and parcel of the game.

Comment

Went with this in the end, feel good about it.
      Let us know how it all works out, good luck with it all.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
        Let us know how it all works out, good luck with it all.
        Thanks.
        Unfortunately, the contract has been pulled at the very last minute, after compliance, clearance and presentation of the contract from the agent and just before starting. Everyone's sorry as apparently this almost never happens with this client. I've received two conflicting explanations as to why. So my reasonably long stint on the bench (since Jan) is set to continue - the other contracts are now filled so I've lost out completely.

Perhaps I underestimated the likelihood of this happening?

This is the most recent in a line of experiences that is suggesting to me that perhaps being upfront is not the best strategy and that's a real shame as I prefer open communication. Here's hoping that I've just had a run of bad luck.

Comment

Thanks.
          Unfortunately, the contract has been pulled at the very last minute, after compliance, clearance and presentation of the contract from the agent and just before starting. Everyone's sorry as apparently this almost never happens with this client. I've received two conflicting explanations as to why. So my reasonably long stint on the bench (since Jan) is set to continue - the other contracts are now filled so I've lost out completely.

Perhaps I underestimated the likelihood of this happening?

This is the most recent in a line of experiences that is suggesting to me that perhaps being upfront is not the best strategy and that's a real shame as I prefer open communication. Here's hoping that I've just had a run of bad luck.
          It's most definitely part and parcel of contracting which is why we have a little saying that you don't have anything until you are sitting at the clients desk on day one. Don't stop applying for stuff until you are. Unfortunately you've found this out the hard way.

Did you sign the contract and when it got pulled and were you given notice? If the notice period you were given extended in to the time you were supposed to start you might be able to claim from the Business Interruption insurance on your IPSE+ insurance. Give them a bell to see if your situation is one they will cover. You don't get a lot but better than a kick in the teeth.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

At the risk of another "cool story bro" from NLUK heres a cautionary tale.

I had a local gig lined up once. Offered me on the phone and asked me to sort out notice period and let them know. Kept in touch while trying to sort out at current client. All done - agency then phoned me "sorry they started someone else last week - couldn't wait".

At no point had client said it was a problem or contacted me. Seem to have forgotten they'd offered it to me. **** knows.

Of course, stayed at current client but senior manager took offence that I'd tried to leave so they didnt renew month or two later.

Moral of the story - don't believe anyone until you're sat at the desk.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I'll let the Gladiator do the talking.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X