• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Declining a contract or cancelling an interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Declining a contract or cancelling an interview

I'm on the bench and a large ex-client of mine has informed me (after one of those interviews where it appeared that I just needed to turn up) they'll be making an offer
    The paperwork process has started but I haven't seen sight of the contract yet - there's not much chance the role will get canned but you never know.

I do however, have hiring manager interviews lined up with another couple of prospective clients over the next few days (1. Another large ex-client and 2. A moderate size consultancy I've never dealt with before).

As I haven't signed/seen a contract and the market hasn't felt at all lively this year I'm not feeling all that keen to shut down the other prospects and cancel the interviews etc by telling them about my incoming offer, but neither do I want them to feel strung along (partly because last time I turned down an offer from a prospective client post-interview, that same client refused my application when the role opened up again a few months or so down the line, so I'd clearly upset them by refusing).

So when do you tell the other agents involved with the other roles about incoming offers and essentially pull out from client interviews etc?

When your bum is on the seat

Comment

As mousey says.

The way the contracting is they should expect any candidate to be taken off the market at any minute. So if they get tulipty (they will. Especially agents) just ignore it.

If asked in an interview I usually say I’ve had a couple of other interviews in the last couple of days that have gone well. Regardless if it’s true or not.

Comment

what i have experienced in my time it seems is with contractors, anything goes? i've had contracts offered, attended onboarding prior to start date and then the role has eventually been pulled.

how many of us have been left waiting when assured a role was a done deal and offer should be received next day. It's a running theme unfortuntaely. So until you have something concrete don't trust anyone.

Comment

I've now got the offer through by email (contract to follow). All the details are correct, and to be fair the agent running the gig has been communicating better than most.

So with the larger clients it usually takes a week or so from the offer until your bum is in the seat.

In the meantime, I'm likely to get another offer from at least one of these other contracts and it just doesn't feel right to accept an offer knowing that they aren't my choice.
          Do you not find it burns bridges with both the client and agent if you accept an offer and then pull out? I know some of you help with contractor CV sifting, do you hold it against candidates that pulled out in the past?

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
            I've now got the offer through by email (contract to follow). All the details are correct, and to be fair the agent running the gig has been communicating better than most.

So with the larger clients it usually takes a week or so from the offer until your bum is in the seat.

In the meantime, I'm likely to get another offer from at least one of these other contracts and it just doesn't feel right to accept an offer knowing that they aren't my choice.
            Do you not find it burns bridges with both the client and agent if you accept an offer and then pull out? I know some of you help with contractor CV sifting, do you hold it against candidates that pulled out in the past?
            Tell them you accept pending a successful contract check. It can take up to a week for the likes of QDOS to check the contract so could give you a bit a breathing space. When you turn it down you've not technically breached but it won't mean the agent and client are any less pissed off with you.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just be up-front with them as to what's happening. That's what you'd want if you were in their situation. The Golden Rule is pretty good business practice, in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post

If the offer you are looking to park for a week or so, while you consider other offers, is from the large ex client then yes, you could piss them off especially if you had the turn up, say your name and you've got the job type interview.

It's ok saying you are likely to get these other offers but is that the case? Agents will spin you any old crap to keep you on the hook while you wait.

Up to you whether you feel lucky. Well, do ya punk?!

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                  Just be up-front with them as to what's happening. That's what you'd want if you were in their situation. The Golden Rule is pretty good business practice, in the long run.
                  Went with this in the end, feel good about it.

And to clarify, it was my already-offering ex-client that I really wanted the contract with, it was jhat I could see a risk of it falling through and if so, knew I'd regret throwing the other opportunities away.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                    Just be up-front with them as to what's happening. That's what you'd want if you were in their situation.
                    Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                    Agents will spin you any old crap to keep you on the hook while you wait.
                    Hmm...

Comment

Working...
                    X